XM Radio on the Fritz

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
So I have a 2008 Honda Pilot that is my wife's main car. It has Factory built in XM with an antennae on the roof. Over the past year the reception has been really spotty with the radio cutting out quite often. This occurs even in wide open areas with no obstruction to the sky. XM has had her reset the radio but this never works. It has gotten so bad that she wants to cancel her subscription. Any thoughts on what could be the problem or how to fix? Could it be the antennae? If so can they replace it? Have a call into Honda but no call back yet.

Happens quite often with the aftermarket units. A little moisture gets into the antenna and the signal drops. Replace the antenna and all is good.

Sometimes just taking some electrical contact cleaner to the connection solves the problem. Other times the antennae themselves go south and have to be replaced. I haven't come across a radio itself that went bad, but I suppose that happens, too.

I've also found that the coating of salt that the antennae get in the winter around here affects the reception. I know all the dead spots on these local roads, and when the dead spots seem to get bigger, it means that the antenna is coated with salt. I just use plain warm water to wash it off, and then it works right again.

Rich

Back