XM Radio - GMX200/Garmin 696

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by Cpt_Kirk, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Cpt_Kirk

Cpt_Kirk En-Route

Display name:
    Ted Striker
    On the Bonanza, we have XM radio that I can listen to on the 696 and only cuts out when I push the PTT. On the Saratoga, we have XM through the GMX200 and it cuts out anytime someone (controller, other pilot, myself...) is using the frequency or any chat over the intercom. Is there a way to adjust the settings on the GMX so that the music only cuts out when I use the PTT?

2. Unit74

Unit74 Final Approach

Display name:
    Unit74
    what audio panel do you have?

3. Cpt_Kirk

Cpt_Kirk En-Route

Display name:
    Ted Striker
    PS Engineering 8000 in the Bonanaza.
    GMA-340 in the Saratoga.

4. Unit74

Unit74 Final Approach

Display name:
    Unit74
    I don't know much about the PS panel, but the GMA, that's how it's designed to work. It has nothing to do,with the GMX. It should also cut out when VOX squelch is opened, e.g., talking to passengers( or singing with the tunes!)

I am unaware of any way to stop this. Your installer could connect and try to explorer the settings, but I believe the audio cut out is part of the certification of the unit. FAA doesn't want you missing a call on the radio because Rush's Tom Sawyer is on and you suddenly became Niel Peirt Drumming on the yoke.

5. Twin_Flyer

Twin_Flyer Cleared for Takeoff

Display name:
    Twin_Flyer
    :rofl: You mean I can't rock out???:lol::lol::lol:

6. flyingron

flyingron Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    THe GDL69A which provides the panel mount has SIX (three active high, three active low) mute inputs. It depends how the thing is wired. The guys who installed my screwed up and tried to make it mute when the gear warning horn went off. What they did was make it mute whenever the gear was up. Took me a while to figure that one out.

7. GMascelli

GMascelli En-Route

Display name:
    GaryM
    I push the mic up and sing along to the oldies. It's nice and quiet on slow ATC days, usually early morning flights. The tunes still cut out when anything breaks the squelch.

8. Cpt_Kirk

Cpt_Kirk En-Route

Display name:
    Ted Striker
    So it's essentially out of my hands. That stinks. I really don't enjoy hearing just the first 6 seconds of a good song. I wish everything was setup like the Bonanza.

9. Unit74

Unit74 Final Approach

Display name:
    Unit74
    E
    xcept for the CG issues and lack of useful load......

10. Cpt_Kirk

Cpt_Kirk En-Route

Display name:
    Ted Striker
    I hate both airplanes equally for different reasons. That A36 is really the best equipped single-engine piston I've ever flown. It's takeoff and climb performance is beyond terrible. If I could combine the V35's performance with the A36's equipment, it would be an unbeatable combination.

11. Unit74

Unit74 Final Approach

Display name:
    Unit74
    Only reason I bought a Piper is that given the same load, the Bo actually couldn't carry it. Kinda like buying a 2 door sporty car that does have a back seat, but you can't really put anyone back there except a kid.

I can load down the Lance to capacity and CG is well inside the envelope.

I wanted a Bo, I needed a PA32.