XKCD...explained, for those stumped.

Great link. i'm a huge XKCD fan and love it when i understand the concepts. It's not easy being a liberal arts major.

I read the cartoon in the link. I got it. I just didn't think it was particularly humorous.

I don't think I ever saw an XCKD strip that wasn't obvious. But then I dropped following it a few years ago. Their attitude was much too irritating, and then they would let some kind of emabarrassing lapse every now and then. I think what drove me to drop at last was a strip where a character talked about the fastest way to cross a lawn. It was immediately obvious to me that the problem was isomorphic to the light refraction, and therefore the answer was to follow the Snell law. It could even be resolved analytically with only trigonometry if lawn's edge was straight. But apparently the author of the strip didn't realize how simple it was. Yet he writes strips with this hollier-than-thow and uber-geek attitude.

There are plenty of amusing steps that he posts. The ones I don't get, I just ignore. The ones I think are funny get printed and hung in my cube at work.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I read the cartoon in the link. I got it. I just didn't think it was particularly humorous.

Same here. Since I don't have a strong scientific or medical background I read the explanation to see if I had missed something. I hadn't.

There are plenty of amusing steps that he posts. The ones I don't get, I just ignore. The ones I think are funny get printed and hung in my cube at work.

I agree with your take, there aren't many comics in the world that every reader will appreciate every time.

The guy, IMHO, is a polymath genius with a wide ranging understanding of human nature.
Also appreciate the fact he allows XKCD to be freely copied and shared - can come in handy to comment on some of those politically charged or social commentary based postings here and elsewhere.

Since you are explaining it ... what the heck is XKCD?

It an online comic strip drawn in stick-figure style (the artwork can nonetheless be quite impressive, especially the expanded click-and-drag or micro/macro zoom pieces).

The name "XKCD" is interesting. It doesn't have any particular meaning. The author chose it because at the time he registered it was one of the last available four-letter ".com" domains.

I pull this one on the girlfriend whenever I can without being hit :lol:

period.png

Back