XC question

Wow. I'm about confused with all the 'advice' and I know how to fly XC
And I'm tellin ya,we could do without the pizzin contests, a tale told by an idiot all sound and fury but without meaning.
To the OP - flee, flee for your sanity
UND - Univ of ND -has good videos online that cover basics. Look there.
Or for a few bucks the King Videos for students will clarify much of this - money well spent

Unless your work can print out half-size pages, that's going to be really inconvenient on a kneeboard.

And I think you may be setting yourself up for the aviation equivalent of 52-card pick-up.

Actually, after a bit of googling, I ran across THIS THING...looks very convenient...what do you think?[

Actually, after a bit of googling, I ran across THIS THING...looks very convenient...what do you think?[

I think it's a wonderful website and you should send me, er, it all your money. In reality I'd never recommend printing an A/FD, there are options for various printing formats to do double sided, etc. but they were mostly intended for users who wanted to print approach plates for a couple airports. The A/FD is around $5 and going to save a ton of time compared to printing the whole thing. Personally, I just do electronic versions now, but I haven't been a student pilot in a while.

If it's really what you want, go for it.

I would just pay the $5 for a physical green book and not worry about it.

The one thing you don't want is for you to depend on something with batteries. Batteries die. Have a viable backup, that you don't have to fumble for.

Having had an "EFB" crash just outside class D at Santa Rosa (at the worst time -- after Oakland Center dropped me with a "Squawk VFR" and before I had contacted STS Tower), I really can't recommend those, particularly for student pilots. Fortunately, I had written down the relevant frequencies as part of my preflight preparation. Descending at fairly low altitude over the Foothills with converging traffic and airspace close by is not a good time for that kind of distraction.

No, I simply posted that link for reference. The reason I wanted a PDF version is so that I can reference in when i'm at work or home (more as a tool to study). People can use it as they wish. I certainly dont plan to print out the entire A/FD for the southwest region.

Although if you look, you can narrow down the selections from that website's menu....I think it was a very useful tool, that is all!

Having had an "EFB" crash just outside class D at Santa Rosa (at the worst time -- after Oakland Center dropped me with a "Squawk VFR" and before I had contacted STS Tower), I really can't recommend those, particularly for student pilots.
Nothing wrong with an EFB, even for a Student Pilot, as long as you have a backup. In fact, if you're going to use an EFB once you get your PP, it's probably a good idea to train with it from the earliest point where you feel ready to invest the money. Just don't show up for your practical test with an EFB without an independent backup of some sort (paper, second device, data in your G1000, etc).

That's part of the planning having all the info usually about 10 miles out or in sight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't recall if anyone told the OP it's on the VFR sectional:eek:

It isn't in the general case. Only for Class B and C and for some special use airspace.

Here is one of the airports the OP asked about: http://skyvector.com/?ll=38.5169043599912,-122.88819121963698&chart=301&zoom=1

From that alone, what is the approach frequency?

The link eventually got me to the AF/D page for Oakland Center @ 127.8. The sectional has to the Southwest, Travis Approach at 119.9. But I get your point.

If I remember my groundschool, we were told that you should have a sectional, WAC and AF/D for the areas your're flying through.

Last edited:

No. That's Tower. They do not do Approach.

The correct answer is Oakland Center. Center frequencies are not on VFR charts, except for the special use airspace tables in the margins.

If you did call Tower and ask for flight following, they would hand you off to Oakland Center.

Jaybird, WACs are not required for anything in a spam can, and they aren't terribly useful. TACs, on the other hand, if you are in a coverage area, are extremely useful.

None of these are required by regulation, with a couple of very specific exceptions (e.g., crossing the LAX SFRA requires a current LA TAC). But it's a real good idea to have a sectional, A/FD and TAC (if appropriate).

Last edited:
The link eventually got me to the AF/D page for Oakland Center @ 127.8. The sectional has to the Southwest, Travis Approach at 119.9. But I get your point.

If I remember my groundschool, we were told that you should have a sectional, WAC and AF/D for the areas your're flying through.

FYI, that frequency for Travis is the wrong one from that direction even if you're crossing the alert area. It's 126.6 north of the Travis runways' extended centerline.

Of course, if you contacted 119.9, they would just hand you off. Not a big deal. Alert areas do not require any communication to enter. It's just a real good idea with all the low time pilots in C-5s, C-17s and KC-135s.

Back