XC Planning tools

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
I'm planning an XC trip while driving my desk at work (and for the expectation that I will attempt the trip later this year) and I'm noticing how many weather stations I will pass and the changes in winds aloft forecasts. The trip is 474nm. Likely, I will be flying a 1998 C172SP, TAS 112 at a recommended cruise of 8,000 (IIRC - don't have POH with me).

Planning it based on current weather, gives me approx 22kt (nearly direct) headwind (ouch) for a GS of 90kts. This stretches the range of the SP right at legal daytime VFR fuel minimums. Since wind speed tends to increase with altitude, also TAS and fuel economy, is there a software (AOPA planner, Foreflight, etc) that can give suggested altitude and take into consideration the multiple weather reporting stations that I will pass?

Have you looked at the Flight Planning Tool available on the ADDS page?

If you are looking at the Winds and Temperatures Aloft forecast, understand that its accuracy is questionable. To experience the forecast winds over a reporting point you would have to fly directly over it at the valid time for the forecast...miss it by 50 miles or 30 minutes and the forecast is garbage. A far more valuable tool is the Skew-T plot available at http://rucsoundings.noaa.gov. I discuss its use in THE COMPLETE PRIVATE PILOT, but you can learn a lot just by Googling.

Bob Gardner

Wait 3 days and the wind will switch to a tailwind. :)

Rule of thumb flying non turbo piston GA planes in the continental US: It rarely pays to climb going west bound.

DUATS will do that, too, out to the limit that winds aloft forecasts exists (about 24 hours). Beyond that, I know of no program which estimates wind effects beyond the extent of the winds aloft forecasts.

Rule of thumb flying non turbo piston GA planes in the continental US: It rarely pays to climb going west bound.

You just gotta wait for a 'cane to land and fly north of it. :)

navmonster.com will give you the 'planned' ETE for a route. Put in your origin and destination on the first page. When it brings up the route weather, scroll down a little over half-way down the page and you will see the expected head/tailwinds at and ETE for a given TAS along your route.

Thanks for the tools guys. I also meant to state in my original that this is an academic exercise.

iFlightPlanner is a turning out to be a pretty good tool.

I like the rubber banding feature and the ability to create a fairly useful NavLog.

But for Jay's purposes, it is very useful to work the problem the long way by hand and E6B.

You won't do that very much in the real world, but you are able to reach the appreciation of what's going on behind the scenes when you use one of the electronic helpers.

Jay, something else to think of as you work up your first XC plans is picking out ways to verify you are on your intended course.

One that I did that my instructor praised me on was selecting a VOR that was near my course track and draw lines on my sectional between it and an obvious landmark on my course line. During review with my instructor, I explained that I would tune into the VOR freq and set the drawn radial on the CDI. When the needle centered I would be right where I should be right on top of my landmark.

Also, be sure to pick out landmarks that are close enough to be seen from the one you just flew over, typically ones about 10-15nm apart. This will make holding your course and wind correction angle an easy task. Plus keeping the landmarks closer together will help when the day is a hazy one and you can't see as far forward as you planned on.

As you fly with your instructor, continue practicing comparing what you see out in front and sides to what you see on your sectional. Continuously comparing land features like the shapes of lakes/rivers, location of a dam, power line, RR track, etc, as you move along help provide the confidence that you really are where you're supposed to be and reducing the stress of not knowing where you're intended runway is.

XC flying is fun! We look forward to your write up of your adventure!!!

navmonster.com will give you the 'planned' ETE for a route. Put in your origin and destination on the first page. When it brings up the route weather, scroll down a little over half-way down the page and you will see the expected head/tailwinds at and ETE for a given TAS along your route.

Much thanks sir. I wonder why the METARs are old? But good tool. Will save it for future use.

Back