X-Plane Cirrus at Gastons

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
I was just thinking about buying X-Plane and ran into this story: http://www.x-plane.com/adventures/cirrus_pickup.html about the lead-programmer picking up his new Cirrus a few years ago.

Saw this picture in it:
DSCF0005.JPG

Looks like Gastons to me...First Cirrus I've seen there :)

Definitely Gastons.

I'll be there tomorrow morning! It's been beautiful flyiing weather here of late.

Yup, that's Gaston's. I see the remnants of a certain conflagration! :D

He's the real deal, definitely loves aviation. Certainly a better pilot->nonpilot ratio than the MSFS team. ;)

On his site somewhere he has a tool he wrote for GA pilots to calculate best cruising altitude based on winds aloft, aircraft performance, etc too.

You don't remember the "bon fire" that nearly took out my plane and one or two others?

What about the last picture on the page that Jesse posted? Was that also at Gastons? I see powerline towers on the hill to the left. If so, then he took off westbound from Gastons in a Cirrus! Like Kent said, guess it proves it can be done!!

What about the last picture on the page that Jesse posted? Was that also at Gastons? I see powerline towers on the hill to the left. If so, then he took off westbound from Gastons in a Cirrus! Like Kent said, guess it proves it can be done!!

There is no doubt it can be done. It just isn't necessarily recommended. I know Chip did in the Husky this year and I think Kim did it in the birddog.

There is no doubt it can be done. It just isn't necessarily recommended. I know Chip did in the Husky this year and I think Kim did it in the birddog.

Agreed, I saw those departures: those are short field airplanes, though. I know we'd all be watching carefully if we saw a Cirrus or Baron try it! :)

Agreed, I saw those departures: those are short field airplanes, though. I know we'd all be watching carefully if we saw a Cirrus or Baron try it! :)

I actually thought about it in the 195 last summer, but decided not to. It really isn't all that great a short field airplane.

You don't remember the "bon fire" that nearly took out my plane and one or two others?

Oh, I remember it all right, I just don't know how the "remnants" could be in a picture taken before it happened. ;) FWIW, Austin sold the SR22 and has a Columbiessna 400 now. :yes:

Oh, I remember it all right, I just don't know how the "remnants" could be in a picture taken before it happened. ;) FWIW, Austin sold the SR22 and has a Columbiessna 400 now. :yes:
Poetic license, of course! I mean, the actual fire site was about 5 feet to the left of that picture, IIRC, so it wouldn't even be visible!:)

Poetic license, of course! I mean, the actual fire site was about 5 feet to the left of that picture, IIRC, so it wouldn't even be visible!:)

Nope. The location of the fire is easily within the frame of that picture. It was only 5-10 feet from the corner...If that.

Tom (in the 172) and I (in the Citabria) both did too. The strong winds favored taking off to the west.

yea chip and i only used like half the runway and cleared the trees by 500 feet or something ridiculous. big wind this year.

Nope. The location of the fire is easily within the frame of that picture. It was only 5-10 feet from the corner...If that.
Okay, change IIRC to IPDRC (I Probably Don't Recall Correctly.) :)

Back