X-Grip vs Cradle, thoughts?

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
I'm a brand new iPhone/Apple user so I'm fixin to get a suction mount for my 5s. Any feedback on the x-grip vs the cradle? My initial thoughts are that the x-grip can be used with multiple smart phones or iphone 5s with or without a case, but seems a little bulkier with the ball mount. The cradle seems a bit 'slimmer' but doesn't account for a case or any other phone. I'm leaning towards the cradle though. Whady'all think?

I use the RAM X-grip for my MiniPad in the Skylane. No complaints at all. Single suction stays very tight against the windscreen. There is plenty of adjustability in the arm to accommodate my wishes. And the X-Grip spreads enough to accommodate the miniPad without removing it from the Belkin PadFolio case.

Nothing but X grip - what if you get a different phone, or apple updates the form factor - you don't need to go buy a new cradle . . .

Edit - I have a smart case on my iPad mini which sits on my yoke during flight - its not a problem in terms of size.

My stratus sits on a suction mount on the side side in the rear - again - not a problem for the passenger when there is one -

Last edited:
What happened to your ingenuity? If I am not mistaken, you had put together a highend duct-tape-velcro-master-professional-2000 for your tablet not to long ago.. WTH?? :)

I have an x grip for the iphone, and a cradle for the ipad.

The downside to the X grip is it twists laterally once the phone is connected. Also, it requires two hands to put the phone in or take off. I can snap the ipad into it's cradle with one motion.

What happened to your ingenuity? If I am not mistaken, you had put together a highend duct-tape-velcro-master-professional-2000 for your tablet not to long ago.. WTH?? :)

I still use my awesome <$1 velcro solution for my Nexus7 and it's awesome!

maybe I'll just attach my iPhone to the panel with some chewing gum!

:hairraise: :goofy:

otterbox + xgrip.

I went though both cradle and X Grips as I went though device upgrades. I wound up with the cradle mount for the Ipad mini on the yoke. Less cumbersome but needed to be sure I had a compatible case. Wound up then with the X Grip for the IPhone mount cuz my case that I use didn't sit well with the cradle.

Since I use the IPad primarily for flying I was willing to compromise on the case...since I wanted a specific case for my phone for day to day use and didn't want to pop it out...I went X Grip for that.

If it is windshield mount...X grip is fine unless you have a compatible case...but the cradle is a cleaner look in my opinion. If you are looking at yoke mount...go with the cradle.

Last edited:
thanks y'all. this will most likely be a side window suction mount just as a secondary gps unit (or third unit, depending on which plane I fly) using garmin pilot. it will NOT be yoke mount. I'm leaning towards the x-grip. or the cradle. or the x-grip. not sure.

Cradle if not in a case. X-Grip if in a case.

Exactly. The only thing I don't like about the X-grip for the Mini is that it will wiggle back and forth when in the mount. The X-grip I have for the full size Air I own, it doesn't. It also has a couple of extra legs on each side to prevent the larger iPad from sliding in the mount.

uha2y6es.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly. The only thing I don't like about the X-grip for the Mini is that it will wiggle back and forth when in the mount. The X-grip I have for the full size Air I own, it doesn't. It also has a couple of extra legs on each side to prevent the larger iPad from sliding in the mount.

I have the pictured with a suction cup mount and sized for the Mini Retina. So far, no wiggle. Nice and sturdy.

I have the pictured with a suction cup mount and sized for the Mini Retina. So far, no wiggle. Nice and sturdy.

When you have the iPad Mini mounted doesn't yours move back and forth in the mount? Every one I saw does this.

My Note 3 (phone), while not quite as big as the iPad mini, is fairly large. I use it in the x grip and it does swivel side to side in the grip (as it is designed to do) but certainly not easily enough to move when I don't want it to.

uha2y6es.jpg

Are those forward facing grips for a smaller device or for gripping to release the ipad?

Are those forward facing grips for a smaller device or for gripping to release the ipad?

You squeeze them together and they open the ones facing in the other direction to allow the iPad to drop in.

See the slots along the side?

They're spring loaded. In that photo they're pushing against the ends of those slots.

In that photo you were to grab the top right and bottom right arms and push them toward each other as the slots show they can move, you're squeezing them and the spring inside, and the phone or tablet (depending on the size of the X used) slides between all those rubber feet from the top and you let go of the spring pressure.

The arms then push in on the device with that spring pressure and hold it in place.

It's plenty sturdy but not as sturdy as the molded shell the device without a cover on it, can snap into. If you have an Otterbox or similar big cover on it, these spring loaded X's do great at holding on to the device plus whatever large protective cover you have on it.

I use my iPhone sized X virtually anytime I'm driving my tow vehicle / truck. Phone hangs from the windshield on a suction cup mount and the X thingy.

Both the X and the cradles have one significant downside. When removing the device from either type, no one has come up with one that can be operated single-handed.

aight, decision has been made. I just ordered the x-grip/suction mount. will let y'all know how it works after a few test runs!

Don't overlook the iPro Navigator. If you have a mini, it's an excellent yoke mount using RAM hardware. And it has a built-in clipboard that swings up and out of the way to act as a glareshield for your iPad mini. www.ForPilotsOnly.com

ipad-mini-page-600.jpg

Back