3 MB · Views: 54
  • DSCN0450.JPG
    DSCN0450.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 60
  • DSCN0462.JPG
    DSCN0462.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 58
Great pics! What was the air temp?

Tok was a refuel stop when I left Fairbanks headed for Whitehorse. I did not realize there was a place for lunch not far from the airport. But I had just finished a big breakfast and would get dinner in Whitehorse.

Great pics! What was the air temp?

Tok was a refuel stop when I left Fairbanks headed for Whitehorse. I did not realize there was a place for lunch not far from the airport. But I had just finished a big breakfast and would get dinner in Whitehorse.

2* or 5* (F).. It was a nippy one out! The restaurant is Fast Eddy's... Right across the street from the airport... I got a BLT in 5 minutes... 30min later, we were airborne! Great place to stop in when flying the ALCAN back to the Lower48

It was 19F in south central NV with the wind chill at 10F. I'd rather have still air at 2F than any wind in the winter.

I'm flying tow on Sat, and no heat in the bird.

It was 19F in south central NV with the wind chill at 10F. I'd rather have still air at 2F than any wind in the winter.

I'm flying tow on Sat, and no heat in the bird.

Best of luck to you sir! God Speed, that takes serious dedication! :yes:
Wish we had glider ops during the winter in Alaska, the tows would be so much smoother... We usually tear down and pack them up end of September.

Ah yes, Fast Eddies. I took this picture of my brother when we flew to Alaska in 2005. We called it "The Sixteen Hundred Dollar Burger"

P6241027.JPG

P6241018.JPG

P6241025.JPG

Last edited:
Best of luck to you sir! God Speed, that takes serious dedication! :yes:
Wish we had glider ops during the winter in Alaska, the tows would be so much smoother... We usually tear down and pack them up end of September.

It warmed up, to about 60F and bright sun. Actually had some hint of thermals.
Started out with a slight south breeze on the ground, 2830MSL. winds aloft at 6000MSL were forecast northerly at 20knts.

Perfect set up for a shear line. Then about 3pm the surface winds shifted to a 90degree crosswind at 15G23 for about 20 minutes and then became northerly on the ground. I dropped a couple of gliders off in the shearline, at one point I had 2000fpm UP on tow!

Ah yes, Fast Eddies. I took this picture of my brother when we flew to Alaska in 2005. We called it "The Sixteen Hundred Dollar Burger"

P6241027.JPG

P6241018.JPG

P6241025.JPG

Well worth the trip! Especially when you are with family.

Yup! Fast Eddy's was a lot of fun! 40 Mile Air was very accommodating and friendly... Now, have you been to Bettle's Field? Thats an entirely different story :lol:

Attachments

• DSCN0453.JPG
    DSCN0453.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 13
  • DSCN0448.JPG
    DSCN0448.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 15
It warmed up, to about 60F and bright sun. Actually had some hint of thermals.
Started out with a slight south breeze on the ground, 2830MSL. winds aloft at 6000MSL were forecast northerly at 20knts.

Perfect set up for a shear line. Then about 3pm the surface winds shifted to a 90degree crosswind at 15G23 for about 20 minutes and then became northerly on the ground. I dropped a couple of gliders off in the shearline, at one point I had 2000fpm UP on tow!

FUN! :yikes:

15G25 direct cross is not to hard in the Pawnee, a lot of rudder and a lot of wing down to get the upwind wheel down first for landing.

Takeoffs are more challenging until you get enough aileron control to get a wing up, otherwise you're just skidding across the runway.

Say... By the look on your engine cowling and your Dad's Maule hat, I'd say you were flying a Maule! What type is that, an M-5? 210?

Back