X-Country Charts/Plates

AirBaker

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
AirBaker
Last time I went to OSH, I had to really dig to find the charts for a few regions of my trip. Many were sold out for the entire month at the local shop. Anyone purchase theirs online and have good luck?

I tend to order my charts from Sporty's when the local place doesn't have what I need, or I'm doing a trip soon enough that I need to have them.

I try to support the pilot shop nearby that I like, though, because it is a good shop and I want to see them stay in business. That said, sometimes I just need it now, and the pilot shop doesn't have it. Plus it's a 40 minute flight away. When that's the case, I'll just go to Sporty's.

-Ted

Have you considered AirChart? These are books of sectionals, wac's and low alt en-route. I got my first subscription for this trip, although I've borrowed them before.
I like them, although they are not perfect, pages are too small and finding where you are on the next one is not trivial.

Joe

I am trying to get charts for my Gaston's trip from the local shop. A couple of charts are not effective until 5 June, the day before I am leaving. The shop has them but refuses to open the box up and sell them to me, they are protecting them like a Harry Potter release. I should have just called up Sportys yesterday and had them ship them to me.

Have you considered AirChart? These are books of sectionals, wac's and low alt en-route. I got my first subscription for this trip, although I've borrowed them before.
I like them, although they are not perfect, pages are too small and finding where you are on the next one is not trivial.

Joe

I've been using Howie's books for several years and I really like the concept. They're useless for flight planning but I use a computer for that. As to locating yourself, that gets a bit easier with time. Generally I try to find an airway or MOA in the vicinity that crosses the chart boundary, but all you really need a single feature you can find on both charts to get the alignment figured out. Using the page selector at the front of the book to get an idea of where the pages overlap also works but that involves more page turning than I like.

All that said, I think I actually had to use the low enroute book twice last year, with all the GPS direct and moving maps etc.

we use the air charts stuff in the 421's and it is niiice. especially if you are travelling about the country.

That helps... The 2 charts I needed last year were the only 2 placed I had IMC weather.

Back