X-Country around Boston?

benb172

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Benb172
I am a student pilot and am working on doing some x-country. Since my wallet it becoming thinner, I was wondering what the most interesting place to fly to would be near Boston. My instructor left it up to me. Anyone flown to KPVC?

The restaurant on Marths'a Vineyard, KMVY, does a good breakfast.

Jaffrey NH. Wait for Kimball Farm to open up. I'd be interested in a pirep here - as in if your instructor or school lets to you dispatch there.

PDX - Portland Maine - great scenery and you never have to leave the FBO.

EWB - GREAT restaurant on the field.

Block Island - more than 50nm - qualifies as a real Cross.

Danbury CT - also 50nm - a couple of ok choke and puke chains in walking distance

Jaffrey NH. Wait for Kimball Farm to open up. I'd be interested in a pirep here - as in if your instructor or school lets to you dispatch there.

PDX - Portland Maine - great scenery and you never have to leave the FBO.

EWB - GREAT restaurant on the field.

Block Island - more than 50nm - qualifies as a real Cross.

Danbury CT - also 50nm - a couple of ok choke and puke chains in walking distance

PDX is Portland, Oregon. PMW is Portland, Maine. That's a long cross country!

Laconia
Sanford ME
Pittsfield

KPVC is out on the point of Provincetown and you have to overfly water to get there unless you follow the Cape all the way around. Not sure I recommend overflying water if you are solo. Besides the beautiful view, there's not much else. No restaurant or anything. If you want to go to the Cape, I recommend Chatham KCQX. Really good breakfast at Hangar B Restaurant. They're closed until April 1st but a good destination after that. Some nice views from there. Have fun.

Where around Boston are you starting?

Hampton, NH.
Nice grass field, too far from the beach to walk. But right in town area of Hampton.
Walk to meals. Nice coastal flying to get there.

National Archive registerd grass field, wait for the snow to melt and the field to dry.
J-3s were for rent from the FBO.

KPVC is out on the point of Provincetown and you have to overfly water to get there unless you follow the Cape all the way around. Not sure I recommend overflying water if you are solo. Besides the beautiful view, there's not much else. No restaurant or anything. If you want to go to the Cape, I recommend Chatham KCQX. Really good breakfast at Hangar B Restaurant. They're closed until April 1st but a good destination after that. Some nice views from there. Have fun.

2nd Chatham! Great place to eat and nice airport

Htfd ( Hartford/ brainard) is a good stop w excellent restaurant

Kijd (Windham). Nice airport and restaurants within walking distance

Yeah, thats a good point. I flew dual to KHYA and we are about 2 miles off the coast max. I'll start somewhere easier first.

Where around Boston are you starting?

Hampton, NH.
Nice grass field, too far from the beach to walk. But right in town area of Hampton.
Walk to meals. Nice coastal flying to get there.

National Archive registerd grass field, wait for the snow to melt and the field to dry.
J-3s were for rent from the FBO.

I am out of KOWD, Norwood MA. Thanks for the info. Ill keep that in mind. J-3's sound really fun.

I am out of KOWD, Norwood MA. Thanks for the info. Ill keep that in mind. J-3's sound really fun.

Hey Ben, I know the pilot shop was going to close but thought someone had bought it. Is it still open? Also, is the restaurant still open on the right hand side as you are walking to the pilot shop?

Thanks!

Sanford has a good diner, cash only, with a tasty lobster omlet.

PWM has good scenery, you can request vectors for the harbor visual on the way in.

Jaffrey is a s-hole, Stow makes a good training ground for it though

Keen has tasty, and cheap, Indian and will make it spicy if you like

Back