WY Landowners for Antelope hunting

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
I know I know... Two posts in 1 day from me.. STOP FLOODING THE BOARD, JONES!

Anyway... I'm looking at making a trip out to WY for Antelope this fall. I missed the initial draw, so I'm looking for areas to put in for the leftover draw (due this week). Looks like most of the tags left are for either for private land, or in zones that don't have much public access. I figured it was worth a shot to see if any folks here have an inside scoop on getting access to some private land for knocking down (hopefully) a few doe antelope this fall. Not looking to rip-roar through someone's land - it would be me, my dad, and likely my father-in-law. We all have farming backgrounds, so we can appreciate the desire for landowners not wanting someone out rutting up their fields, etc.

Worth a shot...

Feel free to PM.

TIA,
CJ

yeah - would love to have the same info. I've hunted a number of years around Seminoe Reservoir, north of Hanna and had over the counter doe tag(s) available every year. With a good GPS Land Ownership map, one can be relatively sure of staying on public land. But, 4-5 years ago, combination of drought and winter kill caused WY Game and Fish to drastically reduce the licenses to that area. I don't know if that's changed or not.

The NE quarter of the state is pretty much that situation you described as very little public land (relatively speaking) which is why they always show significant numbers of leftover tags available.

I'm sure you've looked here https://wgfd.wyo.gov/public-access/public-access-areas but there may be some additional information for cooperating farms and ranches that allow public/controlled access.

Good luck - it's always a fun hunt.

yeah - would love to have the same info. I've hunted a number of years around Seminoe Reservoir, north of Hanna and had over the counter doe tag(s) available every year. With a good GPS Land Ownership map, one can be relatively sure of staying on public land. But, 4-5 years ago, combination of drought and winter kill caused WY Game and Fish to drastically reduce the licenses to that area. I don't know if that's changed or not.

The NE quarter of the state is pretty much that situation you described as very little public land (relatively speaking) which is why they always show significant numbers of leftover tags available.

I'm sure you've looked here https://wgfd.wyo.gov/public-access/public-access-areas but there may be some additional information for cooperating farms and ranches that allow public/controlled access.

Good luck - it's always a fun hunt.

Yep. Been all over the WY DNR site. I'll go ahead and admit that I have a spreadsheet of the zones with leftover tags and I'm going through and ranking each one 1,2,3 based on public land access. No 3's made it on the list. I'm using onX hunt maps, the WY DNR antelope map and my spreadsheet but can't come up with a formula that makes it make sense to pay the expense of getting out there and have a reasonable chance of bringing anything home to show for it.

Looks like WY has an interesting way for linking up willing landowners with inquiring hunters, but unfortunately the zones in the leftover tags don't have any landowners listed as contacts.

Sounds like a blast. Never gotten an antelope, but plenty of whitetail here in South Texas. Take me with you! :)

Back