WX Wind Question

silver-eagle

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
~John
Looking at the TV station weather, they list the day as WINDY. The next day is listed as BREEZY. Is there an official definition of these terms? And what would I expect the term to be if it was more than WINDY or BREEZY? Gusty? Politiciany?

Looking at the TV station weather, they list the day as WINDY. The next day is listed as BREEZY. Is there an official definition of these terms? And what would I expect the term to be if it was more than WINDY or BREEZY? Gusty? Politiciany?

Yep there are terms

Speed range
Terms
0-5 mph light or light and variable
5-15 mph none used
15-25 mph none used or breezy for mild weather brisk for cold weather 20-30 mph breezy (mild weather), brisk (cold weather)
25-35 mph windy
30-40 mph very windy 40 mph or greater strong, damaging, dangerous, high

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mtr/glossary.php

"Treacherous": The word local newsheads use when it's really bad!

I would say Windy falls under strong breeze.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica] Beaufort Wind Scale[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Windspeed[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]in MPH[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica] Description - Visible Condition [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]0 [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Calm smoke rises vertically [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]1 - 4 [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Light air direction of wind shown by smoke but not by wind vanes [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]4 - 7 [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Light breeze wind felt on face; leaves rustle; ordinary wind vane moved by wind [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]8 - 12 [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Gentle breeze leaves and small twigs in constant motion; wind extends light flag [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]13 - 18 [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Moderate breeze raises dust and loose paper; small branches are moved [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]19 - 24 [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Fresh breeze small trees in leaf begin to sway; crested wavelets form on inland water [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]25 - 31 [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Strong breeze large branches in motion; telephone wires whistle; umbrellas used with difficulty [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]32 - 38 [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Moderate gale whole trees in motion; inconvenience in walking against wind [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]39 - 46 [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Fresh gale breaks twigs off trees; generally impedes progress [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]47 - 54 [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Strong gale slight structural damage occurs; chimney pots and slates removed [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]55 - 63 [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Whole gale trees uprooted; considerable structural damage occurs [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]64 - 72 [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Storm very rarely experienced; accompanied by widespread damage [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]73+ [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Hurricane devastation occurs [/FONT]

The terms windy, breezy, and gusty do not appear in the Federal Meteorological Handbook.

Thanks all. This is what I'm looking for. Often, the weather only uses the terms and doesn't say what the speed is. Breezy is okay but windy will need to be evaluated. I've done both and lived to write about it.

Thanks all. This is what I'm looking for. Often, the weather only uses the terms and doesn't say what the speed is. Breezy is okay but windy will need to be evaluated. I've done both and lived to write about it.

My take is that breezy is enough wind to be noticed, windy is enough to be felt (physically moves you around).

Back