Wx Info

BigAL

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
BigAL
First dual XC is tomorrow a.m. Where all do you get you wx info from? I like multiple places cause, well, ... has there ever been two forecasters have the same forecast? I like web sites better than phone #'s.

Thanks for the help.

ps I know wxbrief.

First off, get set up on Duat or Duats - these web sites provide a briefing that is logged and recognized by the FAA as an official weather briefing.

Of course the best weather comes from www.wunderground.com. :)
Another good one is www.aviationweather.gov.

Then there is always the weather channel. Hey, at least you'll know if a hurricane is headed your way...

Keep wxbrief on the cellpone - it's handy for a last minute check of TFRs. Ok, I know, western KS hasn't ever had a TFR but it could happen some day. Maybe.

I get my WX information from lots of places at different times, but always I get it from the official source.

It helps greatly to print out the standard WX brief from DUAT, print out some of the relevant WX graphics from DUAT, and then call and get your weather briefing. Reference AC 00-45 to decipher everything. By the time you take your checkride you'll impress the examiner.

weather.gov especially the forecast discussions and MOS forecasts
aviationweather.gov for all the metars, tafs, radar, area forecasts, etc etc.
spc.noaa.gov if it might get stormy

I prefer the ADDS site (http://adds.aviationweather.gov) to NOAA's basic aviation weather page -- easier to see what I want. That's my first choice as preflight weather source. Of course, many airports have only a WSI weather station rather than a regular internet computer, and I'm happy with that, too. If that's not available, I go to DUATS, where I'm going anyway for NOTAMs, flight planning and filing. The telephonic 800-WX-BRIEF is always my last choice, since the briefing is never as complete as what I can get on line.

Ijust heard that Scott's shutting down AVWxWorkshops at the end of the year! Dang!

He was promoting it this week on the Linked In Private Pilot Proffessionals group.

He did not mention thinking of closing it down there only trying to attract more business.

He was promoting it this week on the Linked In Private Pilot Proffessionals group.

He did not mention thinking of closing it down there only trying to attract more business.

He's hinted at it on the boards for awhile now due to lack of interest.
I got an email from him the other day confirming what Grant said.
It's really too bad.

Ijust heard that Scott's shutting down AVWxWorkshops at the end of the year! Dang!

He's hinted at it on the boards for awhile now due to lack of interest.
I got an email from him the other day confirming what Grant said.
It's really too bad.
I got that email too as a subscriber. He's not shutting the doors immediately, but is accepting new subscriptions and renewals for only a short time going forward. I'm disappointed, but not surprised. There have never been enough people to sustain an ongoing dialog on the forum there. I only log in every couple of months or so. And he has just about the best WX information out there!

You got some good ideas. I do similar things

First I start with AOPA's WX portal and look over the charts.
Then I get on Golden Eagle from DUATS (it is free) plot my route and then use it's interface to get a legal briefing. I go over the text and charts there and if I am having questions that I cannot answer I call FSS.

In the winter I also go to the ADS site and look at some of the experimental icing products that are talked about on this site from time to time if I am going to be dealing with IMC.

Lastly I use my weather rock.
420972328_f148789bae.jpg

;)
Actually do look at the sky. I have gotten METAR reports that say 1 mile and Fog from a nearby airport that sites in a small valley while at my airport it is 10SM vis of clear.

One thing that has not been discussed in the this thread is what happens when you take off.

Keep your eyes open and looking at the WX in case it appears to change from what you thought or were told it should be. I use my comm2 to listen ahead at ATIS reports to determine if anything is changing. On long XC I will also call Flight Watch and get updated conditions and forecasts. Last December I rented a Garmin 396 and was able to do a lot of WX monitoring in the plane while I was flying to Florida from the Chicago area and that was really nice!! I used some of the wind charts to help pick altitudes that were more beneficial to my routes.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, at the end of the year, the $$$ run out. :frown3:

Sadly, I ran of $$$ before I could even take part. I think Aviation WX is the least understood topic among pilots, especially those of us who fly IFR infrequently. We know enough to be safe, but not enough to be effective and wring out that last bit of utility from our IFR tickets.

I hope you will be able to still offer your education collection on DVD and download.

Last edited:
Sadly, I ran of $$$ before I could even take part. I think Aviation WX is the least understood topic among pilots, especially those of us who fly IFR infrequently. We know enough to be safe, but not enough to be effective and wring out that last bit of utility from our IFR tickets.

I hope you will be able to still offer your education collection on DVD and download.

I, too, am sad to see this resource go away. I hope you'll continue to write (I enjoy your articles in IFR magazine, and your posts here).

I like JD's idea here--put all your content on a DVD and make it available for purchase / instant ISO-download.

I prefer to use DUAT or DUATs, because that's the information the FAA will hang you with if you screw up.

But, I also like NOAA's Aviationweather site.

I use JesseWeather a lot, but, that is because I built it :) If you put an identifier in with a TAF you'll get the forecast on the graph as well. In the links at the top of the report you can change between time zones and units.

http://www.jesseweather.com

An example report:

It is experimental. It might be completely wrong. YMMV. Still advise you call FSS before each flight.

Last edited:
Back