www.airport.com

Well Apple has had the AirPort for years...Their wireless technology gizmo name.

Well Apple has had the AirPort for years...Their wireless technology gizmo name.

Ah! That must be it! Thanks, Jesse.

Of course! Didja think it was something else?

I wonder how much Apple paid for the domain name...and why they even bothered.

You should know how much fun it is when you call Apple support and try to explain that your Mac is having trouble with the airport (WiFi) connectivity but you don't have an airport (Apple brand access point).

Next time you try to type in airnav.com, try www.flightcentral.net instead.

I think I can handle that. Based on the quick looking I did on your site--I'll probably start too. It actually responded in a reasonable amount of time. Every database query on airnav is a struggle.

Thank you, sir. Glad it passed your initial test. Dedicated server and newer programming technology helps.

Looks like that site has the same worhtless information about my airport that AirNav does. Actually, worse info than AirNav. It's been open since July of 2006, and you still show it closed.

Last edited:
Looks like that site has the same worhtless information about my airport that AirNav does.
Here's your chance to have much more added. That's the whole idea. And, you have the ear of the guy who owns the site right here on the thread.

I haven't even met Russ but I've seen all the behind-the-scenes work he's done for the newly-started Georgia Pilot's Association. If it were a for-profit company, he'd have to get a huge part of its equity. There's discussion of buying him a bag of coffee beans every month for the web contributions. :)

EdFred, the data comes from the FAA so there's little I can do about that part. But tell me what your airport ID is so I can look into it a bit further. We certainly don't want to purvey "worthless" information. ;-)

- Russ

6Y9

I've been on the Feds to update in the info since last fall, and they won't.

I think the only thing they have correct is the runway length and numbers. Everything else has something wrong with.

I have a quickie suggestion - See if you can make the URL's a little easier. I usually go to Airnav because I can just type "airnav/airport/KABC" into the location bar on my browser and I'm there. If you changed the name of the file and programmed it to look at the URL for the ID rather than use arguments in the URL, it'd be very nice. For example, http://www.flightcentral.net/ap/KABC or something.

Also, I'd suggest a .com instead of a .net, as most modern browsers will automagically add .com whereas you have to type .net. Lazy? Yep. Better design? Yep.

Nice site though! :yes:

I have a quickie suggestion - See if you can make the URL's a little easier. I usually go to Airnav because I can just type "airnav/airport/KABC" into the location bar on my browser and I'm there. If you changed the name of the file and programmed it to look at the URL for the ID rather than use arguments in the URL, it'd be very nice. For example, http://www.flightcentral.net/ap/KABC or something.

Also, I'd suggest a .com instead of a .net, as most modern browsers will automagically add .com whereas you have to type .net. Lazy? Yep. Better design? Yep.

Nice site though! :yes:

I also have a suggestion for write-stuff. Your site is awesome. How about not spamming the forums with a suggestion for your site every time someone suggests a site. Its like this:

Some dude posted: Hey - I found this new site, it gives distance between airports and fuel burn enroute!

write-stuff responded: Hey, after you check that site, check out www.distancebetweenairports.com!!

Some dude posted: Hey, I have a friend that sells airplanes, his planes are here:

write-stuff responded: Hey, after you check that site, check out www.airplanebroker.com.

I love your site, I really do, write-stuff, but seriously, man, contribute!

I also have a suggestion for write-stuff. Your site is awesome. How about not spamming the forums with a suggestion for your site every time someone suggests a site. I love your site, I really do, write-stuff, but seriously, man, contribute!

I appreciate your take on it, but FlightCentral is a new site and, I believe, a superior choice among its type. If I hadn't mentioned it in an appropriate context (and only 14 words), several dozen people wouldn't have found it and registered last nite.

Inappropriate an unrelated proselytizing is aggravating and counter productive. My apologies if this is what it sounded like to you. By and large, however, most were happy to learn about a new resource.

Russ,

I'm just starting to take a serious look at your site. I sure like what I see so far, nice job.

I went to settings.aspx and tried to register from there by clicking on the "register" link under the login. I got the following message:

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The resource cannot be found.
Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /settings/Register.aspx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.832; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.832

Thanx much for that report, Gibbons. Looks like we have a malformed link on that one page. We'll get it fixed today. Appreciate the heads up!

I appreciate your take on it, but FlightCentral is a new site and, I believe, a superior choice among its type. If I hadn't mentioned it in an appropriate context (and only 14 words), several dozen people wouldn't have found it and registered last nite.

Inappropriate an unrelated proselytizing is aggravating and counter productive. My apologies if this is what it sounded like to you. By and large, however, most were happy to learn about a new resource.

Oh no, you misunderstand me. I really, really like your site, and appreciate that its new. But looking at your post history:

"Next time you try to type in airnav.com, try www.flightcentral.net (http://www.flightcentral.net) instead."

"After trying privatepilotexam.com, give www.faagroundschool.com (http://www.faagroundschool.com) a try. "

"Try this: http://www.faa-ground-school.com/private-pilot-lessons.aspx

These are narrated multimedia (or you can read text on Gleim...). They might find the ones on "Airports and Airspaces", "VFR... "

"There are some online resources that can help you find who you're looking for:
www.flightcentral.net lists all the flight schools in Atlanta area by airport
www.lzuairport.com has a list of... "

But, I do have to admit, I was incorrect, you do contribute quite a bit besides those posts. But it seriously seems that if I were to start a thread tomorrow, that read: "Hey - I just started a new dog-owners site!" you'd respond with "After reading that site, come to write-stuff.dog.training.com!"

Oh no, you misunderstand me. I really, really like your site, and appreciate that its new. But looking at your post history:

"Next time you try to type in airnav.com, try www.flightcentral.net (http://www.flightcentral.net) instead."

"After trying privatepilotexam.com, give www.faagroundschool.com (http://www.faagroundschool.com) a try. "

"Try this: http://www.faa-ground-school.com/private-pilot-lessons.aspx

These are narrated multimedia (or you can read text on Gleim...). They might find the ones on "Airports and Airspaces", "VFR... "

"There are some online resources that can help you find who you're looking for:
www.flightcentral.net lists all the flight schools in Atlanta area by airport
www.lzuairport.com has a list of... "

But, I do have to admit, I was incorrect, you do contribute quite a bit besides those posts. But it seriously seems that if I were to start a thread tomorrow, that read: "Hey - I just started a new dog-owners site!" you'd respond with "After reading that site, come to write-stuff.dog.training.com!"

I could careless Nick. He's providing valuable material. If his websites were nothing but 800 pixel advertisements--I would have a problem. But I would *much* rather have this guy mentioning these tools then not. A lot of things annoy me on POA--Like big ass political banners..But these sites do not.

So when will the comments be enabled, so I can state that the Feds will not update the info.

Hey EdFred. We've been working on the comments and photo gallery for the airports and could possibly have that stuff implemented by the weekend. It will be tied to a "virtual airport community" page attached to the existing airport page. This will be useful to you in particular. You will have a built-in blog for your airport community where you can say anything you want. Additionally, you'll be able to go to other airports and see lists of users there and can PM them (unless they opted out) or grab them in the dedicated chat window. Likewise, people can come the 6Y9 community page and PM you (unless you opt out). You'll have a lot of freedom to mold your own airport community.

Cool beans, EdFred. And you can learn more about the new virtual airport communities at:
flightcentral.blogspot.com

Remember, to participate in the communities, you do have to be registered and must check the box that says that you want to participate.

BTW, if you have an airport website you want included on your 6Y9 airport page, email the earl to me.

- Russ

Last edited:
Next up can you guys do a Firefox extension that allows me to search from the tool bar like what Airnav did?

Hmmm... now that sounds interesting. Let me pass that one on for consideration. Good call. We also will have desktop widgets and embedable widgets (for your own sites) available, probably in another month or so. The airport communities will be the next big change we fire up.

The airport communities are now up and running. Check out your home airport. And we've also added Google Earth support. That's accessed from the button with the globe in it at the top of the Airport page. Lot of fun. Zoom in from space, then tilt it down for a pilot's view and fly around any airport in the country.

And finally, we're working on METAR/TAF reporting on internet capable phones. The link to our prototype for that is www.flightcentral.net/mobile

Last edited:
I've just spent the last hour or so on your site. Very nice job and some great features. The only complaint I have is that it's only slightly faster than airnav.com, and that's pretty slow. Any plans for server or connection upgrades?

Again, great site.

Thanx, Gibbons. It may just be the price of success. We already upgraded to a pricey, high-speed dedicated server about a month ago, but we're getting such a large volume of traffic, even that may not be enough. We're already aware of the issue and investigating ways to solve it.

Thanx, Gibbons. It may just be the price of success. We already upgraded to a pricey, high-speed dedicated server about a month ago, but we're getting such a large volume of traffic, even that may not be enough. We're already aware of the issue and investigating ways to solve it.

Are you using SQL Server on the back end? Every time I use airnav I want to call them and offer to help them index their database. Looking at the slow downs on airnav it has always seemed as if a couple of well placed DB indexes was all they really needed...as it's only slow when you query for information. The page loads without database calls are always very quick.

If things aren't properly tuned you can throw all the hardware and bandwidth you want at it and it still won't make it faster.

Great site, by the way. You've done a really good job.

Last edited:
Back