WWII Plane Down in Arizona

You put a link to the P-51 crash back in February. The crash yesterday was a T6 at Falcon Field, two people on board did not make it.
http://www.azfamily.com/story/31999784/plane-crashes-at-falcon-field
The witness was not a pilot and did not know the two planes had departed as a flight of two in formation.

13217116_1206671906010758_2632345318959052128_o.jpg

Last edited:
Hate to say it, but that controller was not ready for prime time.

ATC phraseology went out the window pretty quick, as did control and clarity. :(

Didn't cause any real issues...just sayin'.

I would disagree , have dealt with her before and certainly would not want to get on the wrong size of her. As fast as the situation unfolded, she acted quickly, to hell with phraseology when you are trying to deal with an emergency unfolding at the end of your runways, smoke pouring into the sky, student pilots doing T&G's

Point taken. I probably shouldn't judge...just something I noticed.

Yeah I'll disagree also. Having been a controller w/ incidents, things happen quickly and a lot of coordination is going on behind the scenes, such as crash rescue, coordinating w/ ground control, medics, police, the list goes on. Plus she or someone else is coordinating handoffs to those planes that went around also. Sure her phraseology is not book perfect but in emergencies common sense takes over. She did fine.

I could hear the stress in her voice. (Who wouldn't be stressed at a time like that!) When someone on the frequency said "Good job," she said "Not really," and then "Could have been better." (A few seconds later, she added. "Thank you.")

I often fly as a flight of two. I can't imagine being told my friend had crashed and the airport was closed so I couldn't even land there.

As far as the controller, she did a great job. She kept the airport safe by diverting traffic and kept her calm even when a lot of people wouldn't.

You should listen to her in the 6am hour, she herds cats and takes no nonsense !!!

Watched this go down, have felt sick to my stomach most of the day.

Heartbreaking. ATC sounded very composed under the circumstances.

Hate to say it, but that controller was not ready for prime time.

ATC phraseology went out the window pretty quick, as did control and clarity....

She did as well as anybody would have done under the circumstances. ATC phraseology? Big deal.

She got the job done, and that's what counts. It sounded like there were a lot of airplanes that had to be diverted.

Back