WWII photos

Wow! Just when I thought I'd "seen 'em all"... thank you for sharing that link.

There are some great photos and gun camera footage on this site:

http://368thfightergroup.com/

My dad was assigned to this group, and they established and defended the first airbase in France after D-day. (My dad went into Normandy on D+1.) They continued that as the war moved East.

They flew P-47s, and were the "Panzer Dusters". The Thunderbolt was one bad-assed looking fighter. I wish there were more of those beautiful planes flying now.

I've probably caught a few fish off the "phosphorus test" boats. Bunch of bombed out ships in the chesapeake bay near tangier island

Great photos! Does anybody know what the Rubber Duckies on the B-26 nose represent? It is toward the end of the photos.

Cheers

Last edited:
Holy cow, was that guy under the pilots smoking?

In those days, just about everyone smoked. My little Piper Warrior has ash trays built into the arm rests. People smoked in doctor office waiting rooms, elevators, everywhere. My whole generation was raised on second hand smoke. Every streetcar and bus stop was a sea of thousands of cigarette butts, during a time when most people used public transportation.

A lady rarely smoked in public though, it was considered the mark of a low life, however, many did anyway if they had to go too long without a tobacco fix.

The world was completely hooked on tobacco.

-John

If you want to know what many of the kids lived through, pick up a copy of Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand.

You'll never whine about anything in your easy, cushy life again.

KodaChrome is hands down the most beautiful blue photography medium. These are spectacular. Thanks for posting. Kyle

what kind of antenna are those under this plane:

B25-Mitch.jpg

what kind of antenna are those under this plane:

B25-Mitch.jpg
I see a VOR antenna up front, an ADF loop (fat bullet shape)and sense (long mast with wire going aft) plus what looks like a couple IFF (aka transponder) whips.

Back