WW2-style "Intersecting" Runways (the "V" Shape)

Doomer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Doomer
Hey all,

Can anyone point me in the direction of "intersecting runway" procedures or ACs?

I just moved near KCOE and looking to get back into the saddle. I'm a low-time PPL and I've never experienced these old "V-shape" runway arrangements; I believe the FAA considers these "intersecting runways" per the FAR/AIM page 686 ("Two or more runways which cross or meet within their lenghts"). However, I can't find much more information on these in the FAR/AIM or Aeronautical Knowledge Handbook.

Before I meet with a CFI for my biennial, I wanted to become knowledgeable on what (if any) special considerations pilots need to take for these runway configurations.

Per the AF/D, KCOE has two runways: 06/24 (LP) and 02/20(RP/LP, respectively) whose thresholds meet/share on the East (so the ends of 06/02 share the same threshold).

Now my question: can two planes legally be in each pattern simultaneously? If Plane A (landing 24) turns left base and final just as Plane B turns right base and final (landing 20), from a legal standpoint do they both have the right-of-way since they are landing on separate runways?

From a common sense standpoint, I'd extend my downwind or exit the pattern entirely if another plane was landing on the other runway. Am I being too prudent/over-thinking this? Curious to hear from locals and/or pilots used to these configurations on what "works".

Thanks!
Doomer

Last edited:
Right of way would be determined by what color nav light you see.

otherwise, as an uncontrolled airport, see and avoid, use caution.

No rule says there can't be aircraft in the pattern for 06 and 02 and 24 and 20 all at the same time.

Back