WTF on local METAR

MAKG1

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
MAKG
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]KDVO [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]052155Z AUTO 34008KT 040V020 10SM CLR 23/13 A2995 RMK AO2

How can the wind be from 340, but variable from 040 to 020? Is that saying it can be any direction but 030?

That's some really sucky wind if that's true.
[/FONT]

I did my crosswind training at DVO. The winds are really funky out there. I've encountered windsocks in opposite directions from each other at each end of the runway. :eek:

TAMU's website says just for this case: "The directional variability shall be coded in a clockwise direction." The direction 340 is between 040 and 020, so we're good.

I think I've seen that at Palo Alto!

I've watched windshear travel across PAO that way, but never with winds stronger than 5 knots or so.

Well, maybe it did this afternoon, but I chickened out. ATIS reported 15 knots down the runway with no gusts, but my observations were that the wind was stopping and reversing direction. I was going to try out the Cutlass, but combining an unfamiliar retractible with challenging winds seemed like a bad idea.

IIRC, the 727 accident at New Orleans prompted the use of multiple sensors around the airport to detect and warn about shear.

IIRC, the 727 accident at New Orleans prompted the use of multiple sensors around the airport to detect and warn about shear.

I thought it was when DL plowed the L10 in at DFW. But then again, I could be wrong.

Back