WTF? How the **** do you phone the tower?

Bust the airspace, buzz the tower, land on a taxiway. They would be glad to give you the number. :lol:

:yes:

:rofl:

Asking on frequency isn't a bad idea. Any of the other methods work. If you get a receptionist, ask for a fax number and fax a write-up of your request with follow up contact information. That way less information has a chance of being missed via the messenger game.

If you call a tower cab, chances are you will speak to a supervisor, controller in charge, or controller working traffic. Usually it will be someone not working live traffic.

Make a radio call to ATC and ask them for it.

People keep saying that.

Flying to an airport only to find they don't want you there is wasteful.

People seem to think I was AT Oakland. No, I was going there. You can't generally call the Tower from the ground unless you're at that airport, or maybe on a nearby mountaintop.

And there is that 14 CFR 91.103 thing. This was planning time, and the airplane was 7 miles away. Figuring out the implications of a known TFR should be done at the planning phase, not while entering it. The enroute phase is pretty short and VERY busy as it's crowded airspace and has four handoffs over about 20 miles.

Last edited:
People keep saying that.

Flying to an airport only to find they don't want you there is wasteful.

People seem to think I was AT Oakland. No, I was going there. You can't generally call the Tower from the ground unless you're at that airport, or maybe on a nearby mountaintop.

And there is that 14 CFR 91.103 thing. This was planning time, and the airplane was 7 miles away. Figuring out the implications of a known TFR should be done at the planning phase, not while entering it. The enroute phase is pretty short and VERY busy as it's crowded airspace and has four handoffs over about 20 miles.

You appeared to ask a general question about how to get the number to the tower. Calling on the radio is just one of the many options provided to accomplish that. Obviously it doesn't work if you aren't at the field itself.

Just ask then over the a radio for their number.

I got a tower number once when I was having radio issues, taxied and took off and departed their C via Bluetooth and my cell.

Call the airport manager number and if all else fails use "for the saftey of flight" and ask for their full name and supervisor, I've never had it go past that without them complying with my request.

The ac-u-kwik website mentioned on the first page of this thread seems to be a pretty comprehensive solution to this problem.

Back