WTF California? They want to tax my aircraft when it hasn’t even been there?

So, I talked to my wife's uncle's second cousin's sister-in-law's, best friend's neighbor from down the street that once talked to a guy at the coffee shop regarding your tax situation, and he had absolutely no clue of anything related to this situation. But he did have a great recommendation on where to get doughnuts. :D:):confused:

So, I talked to my wife's uncle's second cousin's sister-in-law's, best friend's neighbor from down the street that once talked to a guy at the coffee shop regarding your tax situation, and he had absolutely no clue of anything related to this situation. But he did have a great recommendation on where to get doughnuts. :D:):confused:

and?

you can't leave it at that...

I get it. They screwed up. Tell them they screwed up (in writing, using the form they provided), and move on.

That's what it means. Have the wisdom to know the things you can't change and deal with it. Hiding from it ain't gonna work ...

About five months ago I got a collection letter from the State of Maryland saying I owe more than $11,000 for unpaid tuition at the University of Maryland for courses taken last summer. Huh?

It seems someone registered for classes, took out a student loan, then dropped most of the classes and was issued a refund, all in my name. I don't understand why I did not receive the refund. They had my name, address, social security number, etc.

Of course, I disputed it. I filed a complaint with local law enforcement, put a freeze on my credit reports, notified the FTC of my stolen identity, talked to my congressman's office (they were sympathetic but could not help me), sent a notarized demand for all information the university had, etc. The last correspondence was with the university's fraud department. They said investigations may take up to six weeks, but it has been much longer than that, and nothing further.

I can't find any other misuse of my identity.

Having dealt with tax agency snafus before, I have found the quickest way to resolve things is to be truthful, firm, professional, and direct. Even the densest tax agent will eventually give up when buried in the facts. It's a PITA for sure, but if you don't respond, things can escalate quickly and get expensive. Put the onus on the tax agency to dispute your documentation, and put it in writing via registered mail. It seems very likely that this whole fiasco resulted from a likely typographical error, and things are threatening to spiral absurdly out of control.

I would submit any and all documentation available disputing their allegations, indicate that you have no intention of complying with their request for tax payment due to lack of evidence supporting the request, and politely but firmly ask that the tax request be fully dismissed without conditions. Dollars to doughnuts they will move on at that point. It's unlikely they will be able to effectively dispute your documentation, because they don't have anything useful to share. Keep in mind the low level clerks don't know real tax cheats from administrative foul-ups. They just have a case to pursue. Convince them to pursue some other case.

Sounds like you have a lot of free time, want to wash my airplane or change the oil while you’re at it? (jk) :)

About five months ago I got a collection letter from the State of Maryland saying I owe more than $11,000 for unpaid tuition at the University of Maryland for courses taken last summer. Huh?

It seems someone registered for classes, took out a student loan, then dropped most of the classes and was issued a refund, all in my name. I don't understand why I did not receive the refund. They had my name, address, social security number, etc.

Of course, I disputed it. I filed a complaint with local law enforcement, put a freeze on my credit reports, notified the FTC of my stolen identity, talked to my congressman's office (they were sympathetic but could not help me), sent a notarized demand for all information the university had, etc. The last correspondence was with the university's fraud department. They said investigations may take up to six weeks, but it has been much longer than that, and nothing further.

And they didn’t even verify your identity, better for them to ignore you as they know they are in the wrong.

and?

you can't leave it at that...

I think this is charted on the LAX Terminal Chart as a visual reference point :)

1491593341538.jpeg

About five months ago I got a collection letter from the State of Maryland saying I owe more than $11,000 for unpaid tuition at the University of Maryland for courses taken last summer. Huh? ..................

Make sure they call the debt collector dogs off.. otherwise, you're going to be subject to what they call "zombie debt." Even though it wasn't yours in the first place the debt collectors will still try to get it. These people are lower than pond scum on the evolution scale - sharks won't even bite them out of professional courtesy. Seriously the only difference between them and a vacuum cleaner? With the vacuum cleaner, the dirtbag is on the outside!

Long story short, it cost me $1,200.00 with a lawyer and two years to rid myself of this after someone got my info and had a field day getting a few credit cards.

This would appear to be an instance of taxation without representation and therefore grounds for war. Bring it up at your next militia meeting and start making a battle plan.

Lets get that tea into the harbor too! Oh wait ...

This would appear to be an instance of taxation without representation and therefore grounds for war. Bring it up at your next militia meeting and start making a battle plan.
"In other news, the Arizona militia is massing troops and equipment at the California border in advance of an anticipated invasion..."

Make sure they call the debt collector dogs off.. otherwise, you're going to be subject to what they call "zombie debt." Even though it wasn't yours in the first place the debt collectors will still try to get it. These people are lower than pond scum on the evolution scale - sharks won't even bite them out of professional courtesy. Seriously the only difference between them and a vacuum cleaner? With the vacuum cleaner, the dirtbag is on the outside!

Long story short, it cost me $1,200.00 with a lawyer and two years to rid myself of this after someone got my info and had a field day getting a few credit cards.
Ha. Every year or so we start getting debt collection calls for one of two guys we’ve never heard of in our entire lives, other than the zombie debt collectors. How the hell our phone number got attached to the God-only-knows-how-old bad debt, no one knows. We’ve had this number for 30 years or so. But, every time one of these idiot scumbags sells the uncollectable debt to the next idiot scumbag, the calls start again.

Fortunately it’s much easier now to block large blocks of phone numbers.

As a UMD graduate I sympathize. It's a factory. . .I keep my credit frozen. Always. It's not a perfect stop, but it helps.

I think this is charted on the LAX Terminal Chart as a visual reference point :)

Wait - wouldn't that require flying to California? They might miskey my tail number and tax someone who has never been near California.

The whole topic loops back on itself now. Congratulation, you've created a mobius thread.

So you fly to California, and lose your plane. (Inserting a bit of hyperbole here.) And there's lots of grass roots political stuff going on now, where there used to be a bit more business. Huh. OK, here's my sideways prediction of the future:

Fast forward 20 years...there will be pilots on here flying for a new branch of "Brothers to the Rescue" helping people escape from CA. :)

...and I'm not making fun of the brave people that have helped people escaping from Cuba.

"what is the political climate I am surrounded by like?" is somewhere on my mind under "what is the current price of an avocado?"

and I hate avocados.

Cool story otherwise though. :)

Wait - wouldn't that require flying to California? They might miskey my tail number and tax someone who has never been near California.

The whole topic loops back on itself now. Congratulation, you've created a mobius thread.

Mobius - had to look that one up... :)

Back