Wtb Grumman tiger

muddy00

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
muddy00
looking to buy a Grumman tiger. 77-79 anyone have a nice one for sale ?

Contact one of the gurus for a nice one. FletchAir, excel air, AU country, and Northwest Airmods. Also, AYA.org.

Good choice for its class. Love the Tiger.

Contact one of the gurus for a nice one. FletchAir, excel air, AU country, and Northwest Airmods. Also, AYA.org.

Contacted a few of those already. I'll check
With the rest thanks.

I owned a 79 Tiger which I sold many years ago. Spent over a year not long ago trying to locate a good one at a fair price. By fair I mean fair, not cheap. Few planes out there and most had antique panels which upgrading would have put the asking prices in Bonanza territory. At the end of the search I bought a Bo. Tiger is a nice plane but in the current market they seem overpriced, or maybe everything else is underpriced? I saw a 78 for sale with new paint and a GTN750 and asking price was 110K. I believe he got close to that. How picky are you with avionics? If you want a good auto pilot, WAAS GPS and ADS-B (you'll need it sooner or later) research the total costs of all that. If you are ok with 40 year old Narco stuff, then you will have more options as many guys have not spent a dime on their panels with otherwise decent airframes.

I looked at a 79 Model a few months back. It had 3400tt & 1000SMOH. Basic IFR but no GPS. Newer paint & a 7 interior. The seller was asking $53,000. It got sold a few days after I flew it & the seller was firm on price so that may give an idea of the market.

I like Tigers too & have some time in one. I had a student buy one & I assisted him in getting his PPL. Nice airplane.

I probably would have considered the Tiger but my wife had her mind set on a high wing & didn't care for the canopy either.

I looked at a 79 Model a few months back. It had 3400tt & 1000SMOH. Basic IFR but no GPS. Newer paint & a 7 interior. The seller was asking $53,000. It got sold a few days after I flew it & the seller was firm on price so that may give an idea of the market.

I like Tigers too & have some time in one. I had a student buy one & I assisted him in getting his PPL. Nice airplane.

I probably would have considered the Tiger but my wife had her mind set on a high wing & didn't care for the canopy either.

So this is a good example of my earlier post. Add at a minimum a WAAS GPS and add 15K to the price. Now you're up to 68K. What about autopilot? For a decent one add another 20K. ADS-B compliant? No? Add another 5K.

Stripped down ones I've seen for $60,000 not sure why they are so expensive but the owners tend to be proud.

I bought my 79 Tiger around 1990. Paid 26K for a nice plane, hangared, mid-time engine, IFR. Sold it 5 years later for 44K after putting 350 hours on it. No investment in it other than an Apollo 612C Loran, and MX, which was very reasonable. They are great planes, but I just couldn't justify spending that much on one in todays market. In 1990, there was still a lot of uninformed bad mouthing about parts availability, safety, etc which held the values down. Eventually the truth prevailed and everyone wondered why they weren't flying a Tiger. If you are willing to invest 80K in a Tiger, when all is said and done, buy a Bonanza. Seriously. Prices are depressed and there are nice ones available.

That's my issue. I don't want to spend 80k.

That's my issue. I don't want to spend 80k.

Then be willing to settle and make improvements over time as finances allow. Again, it all comes down to the avionics and your needs in that area. They are the most costly item in upgrading a plane like the Tiger.

The canopy is a kick to fly slowly with it open. But not so good getting in when raining. Always sit in the wet spot....

Muddy00 ---- I have a 77 Tiger for sale but it is currently under contract. If that falls thru I will let you know.

If you get a good Tiger you will be very happy with it. Great little plane that is really fun and cheap to fly. My overall mission requirements changed and I needed / wanted something faster and little more advanced for longer flights. My average trips now are 600 to 800 miles and the tiger was just not well suited for that so I went to a Columbia 400.

There's a '92 out of KOJC that's on Controller (the green one). VERY nice. I've flown it myself. Fantastic panel and an easy 130ktas.

Back