WTB gas tug for a Comanche

cherokeeflyboy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Cherokeeflyboy
Know a guy in Park Ridge, NJ looking for a tug for his Comanche. Anyone??

Golf cart or little tractor off craigslist and a little welding is probably the best option for him.

Look at a Sidewinder? I like them better, and you can toss them in the plane and take them with you.

Look at a Sidewinder? I like them better, and you can toss them in the plane and take them with you.

If you're strong enough to carry it into the PA24, you're strong enough to use a towbar :dunno:

Be careful with a tractor or golf cart. In a small t-hangar, those things can really ruin your day if you're not careful. The little gas powered tow bars don't have enough power to keep pushing your wing through the wall. A lawn tractor does.

Be careful with a tractor or golf cart. In a small t-hangar, those things can really ruin your day if you're not careful. The little gas powered tow bars don't have enough power to keep pushing your wing through the wall. A lawn tractor does.

Giant John Deere or a lil 5hp hand tug both will cause massive damage just the same.

Have a good center line painted out of the hangar and take your time.

Better to paint a stripe for one of the main gear. You can be on
the centerline and have the rest of the aircraft all fudged up

Giant John Deere or a lil 5hp hand tug both will cause massive damage just the same.

Have a good center line painted out of the hangar and take your time.

Well is there really a such thing as "minor" damage from hitting something with the airframe? All damage is major and expensive damage. The difference between a gas powered tow bar and a John Deer is probably the location of the decimal point in the repair estimate :eek:

Well is there really a such thing as "minor" damage from hitting something with the airframe? All damage is major and expensive damage. The difference between a gas powered tow bar and a John Deer is probably the location of the decimal point in the repair estimate :eek:

Well if you hit the wall and just keep going maybe :goofy:

If you're strong enough to carry it into the PA24, you're strong enough to use a towbar :dunno:

:confused: It's a battery drill with an extension and a friction wheel drive. It doesn't weigh much and will push the plane nicely up an incline and over a hangar door lip.

:confused: It's a battery drill with an extension and a friction wheel drive. It doesn't weigh much and will push the plane nicely up an incline and over a hangar door lip.

The ad on the Aircraft Spruce site says it weighs but 22.lbs , folds to fit into the baggage compartment of most A/C,
Great suggestion IMO, Henning, thanks. I will pass on your recommendation to Brian.

I thought you were talking about something else, that's somewhat clever if it works as advertised.

sidewinderinuse.jpg

I have a VThrust (well two actually) but they don't make them anymore.

I solve the problem of backing in too far by planting two large 4x4's to catch the mains long before the tail can hit the wall. The only downside is when parking the car in the hangar not to hit them.

All damage usually IS minor. A scuff on a wing tip or elevator. A real calamity is usually avoided as most people are very cautious when moving an airplane, as they realize the money involved if they screw up. An old sit down lawn mower was perfect for my Stearman , many use this method, golf cart is also excellent choice. Either will pull quite a bit. Gas powered tow bar same. If your careless , you can screw up with any of the afore mentioned. ( that's why it's called hangar rash.)

I thought you were talking about something else, that's somewhat clever if it works as advertised.

sidewinderinuse.jpg

I watched an 80 year old man pull it out of the baggage of his 310-R and back it up the slope into the hangar with no great effort. Sure looked a lot easier to use than a Supertow or similar, plus you have it wherever.

Back