WTB: Garmin Aera 510, or 560

Anthony

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Anthony
WTB: Garmin Aera 510, or 560 (Found a GPS)

Edit: Found a GPS! Thanks!

Last edited:
I just bought a 560 and I like it so far. Well see if I like it once I get to use it and if I dont I will put it up for sale.

I just bought a 560 and I like it so far. Well see if I like it once I get to use it and if I dont I will put it up for sale.

Thanks Bro!

I have a 560 and I am super happy with it. Fastest acqusition time I have seen even inside a hangar. Excellent terrain depiction. I was impress with the database data details even for South America including airways and FBOs data for both continents. Easy to operate and locate anywhere in the panel.

José

Attachments

• Over GTK.JPG
    Over GTK.JPG
    548.9 KB · Views: 27
Jeez Anthony its about freaking time!!!!:D

I don't want to upset the rest of the avionics. You know, all the ones with the tubes? Circuit/processor envy ya know.

:D

IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0895-Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Ha! Nice pics Keith!

That's the installation Keith helped me with in my Tiger replacing the old Garmin 195. The 510 works great. Now all I have to do is use the damn thing for a few flights.

Ha! Nice pics Keith!

That's the installation Keith helped me with in my Tiger replacing the old Garmin 195. The 510 works great. Now all I have to do is use the damn thing for a few flights.

Looks good! A BIG step up from the 195, probably has much more capacity than you will ever need - at least going VFR. Do have a question, when plugged into ship power, do you get an actual voltage reading in the "numbers" page or just an indication that external power is being used?

Gary

Looks good! A BIG step up from the 195, probably has much more capacity than you will ever need - at least going VFR. Do have a question, when plugged into ship power, do you get an actual voltage reading in the "numbers" page or just an indication that external power is being used?

Gary

Hi Gary. I get the actual voltage, and it matches the voltage on my JPI EDM 700 if memory serves. I'll check it again the next time I fly.

Hi Gary. I get the actual voltage, and it matches the voltage on my JPI EDM 700 if memory serves. I'll check it again the next time I fly.

Hmmm... perhaps I've got it set up wrong. When using it in the car (a handy feature when traveling) it does give me actual voltage. In the plane however, it just gives me an icon (a plug symbol) but no actual voltage reading. Guess I need to play with the settings/set-up page more.

Gary

Hmmm... perhaps I've got it set up wrong. When using it in the car (a handy feature when traveling) it does give me actual voltage. In the plane however, it just gives me an icon (a plug symbol) but no actual voltage reading. Guess I need to play with the settings/set-up page more.

Gary

So you have it hardwired to ship's power when flying, or are you using the cigarette adaptor? Mine is hardwired to the GPS cradle. I can't imagine that the cig adaptor would be different though.

So you have it hardwired to ship's power when flying, or are you using the cigarette adaptor? Mine is hardwired to the GPS cradle. I can't imagine that the cig adaptor would be different though.

Using the cig adaptor. I would think it would work the same as well.

Gary

If my memory serves correctly, it displayed the voltage in the upper left next to the gps and xm signal level meters.

As for Gary's showing different with the cig plug....i can not specifically say, but my experiences with consumer grade gps's, those plugs sometimes have step down circuits in them to reduce the voltages to 5V. They also are smart to the point when they will stop charge when the gps battery is at full charge to prevent overcharging.

This may be why it shows a different icon while using the cig plug vs hard wired with the full data cable like we did with Anthony's.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

If my memory serves correctly, it displayed the voltage in the upper left next to the gps and xm signal level meters.

As for Gary's showing different with the cig plug....i can not specifically say, but my experiences with consumer grade gps's, those plugs sometimes have step down circuits in them to reduce the voltages to 5V. They also are smart to the point when they will stop charge when the gps battery is at full charge to prevent overcharging.

This may be why it shows a different icon while using the cig plug vs hard wired with the full data cable like we did with Anthony's.

Didn't know that! Guess I need to confirm how I wired it up. I "thought" I used the full data/power cable that is part of the cradle and put a cig adapter on the end to go in the panel cig plug - but could be wrong, my memory fails me at the moment.

Gary

Let me rephrase a bit. When i say consumer grade, i was referring to automotive grade gps's . Aviation grade may be different. The data cable we used was one that had flying leads or no connections on one end and the cradle on the other. I know his had a cable with a cig lighter on it also that had a data port for pc connection but i opted to stay away as the one we used can be tied into other features later on. We could have tied the data wires into his engine monitor as his 195 was for fuel consumption, but i did not feel comfortable doing that on his. ( did not want to bite off more than i could chew, even though it was a two wire hook up to data in and data out.)

On the flip side, it could be a menu setting to turn that voltage display on yours too.

I cant do it on my phone right now, but maybe Anthony can post the link to the cable he ordered to see if it rings a bell.

Let me rephrase a bit. When i say consumer grade, i was referring to automotive grade gps's . Aviation grade may be different. The data cable we used was one that had flying leads or no connections on one end and the cradle on the other. I know his had a cable with a cig lighter on it also that had a data port for pc connection but i opted to stay away as the one we used can be tied into other features later on. We could have tied the data wires into his engine monitor as his 195 was for fuel consumption, but i did not feel comfortable doing that on his. ( did not want to bite off more than i could chew, even though it was a two wire hook up to data in and data out.)

On the flip side, it could be a menu setting to turn that voltage display on yours too.

Hopefully it is a menu setting! I did use the same cable as you did coming from the cradle, I spliced a cig adaptor to the end and plugged it in, maybe that is the issue. When in the car, I do use the separate cig adaptor that plugs into the side of the GPS unit.

Gary

Ok, my guess is that that "factory" plug has some circuits built into the plug.

I like how his shows the voltage. At a quick glance he can see if he has positive charge. Shows 14 volts, alternator charging and not having to look to the right side of the panel to scroll through his monitor or interpret his analog gauge with paradoxal view.

They also might have some sort of profile options also. I know on my car garmin, it dims the display when running on batteries vs car power etc

I downloaded the manual. Ill look through it tonight
To see if it gives an option. So far i only seen it in that numbers screen like you mentioned.

Gary

Was playing with it today . When in map mode, it gives the voltage on the upper left hand side. His voltage data was not in the " numbers" page but you could add it to one of the fields by going into the menu and changing the user data field.

There was another screen where it was showing the plug icon , but now I can not remember what screen that was located.

Was playing with it today . When in map mode, it gives the voltage on the upper left hand side. His voltage data was not in the " numbers" page but you could add it to one of the fields by going into the menu and changing the user data field.

There was another screen where it was showing the plug icon , but now I can not remember what screen that was located.

Hope you got to play while in the air! Do not get an actual voltage reading on any screen, only the "plug icon" . Odd, I'll futz with it more tomorrow.

BTW, I am not using the cig plug that came from Garmin, had a different one that I spliced the power cable to.

Gary

We got Anthony's beacon light working and flew to Blairstown for some lunch. I was messing with the data fields at lunch and he played with it on the trip back while I had the controls for a bit.

As for the plug icon vs the voltage, you both are using the same data cable I believe. Just a different method of how it gets powered. It is strange.

It could be just that the user changeable data fields are just different.

I just ordered a 560 last night , so when that comes in , I'll be able to have more hand on..

Do you have the weather enabled on yours ?

One disappointment I have is that garmin disables bluetooth while in airplane mode. I have a bluetooth add on for my headsets and think since that is becoming more popular , they would enable that. Users could pair their headsets to the unit and have the alerts audible without having to strap in with a hard wire cable between the GPS and the aux input of their headsets. Same if they do not have an audio panel with aux input also.

I did find a work around though. The company that makes my headset adapter, makes a bluetooth add on for music devices that aren't born with bluetooth that has a 3.5mm plug. I could get that, plug it into the headphone output of the gps and then stream the GPS audio that way.

The same will work if you activate the XM radio portion. You could get your music into your headset combined with the alerts.

Another nice feature, you can link the aeras with the Zaon PCAS units and have traffic displayed also.

Yes, we verified the voltage on the GPS was close to the JPI engine monitor, so that was good. I think it is a nice back up for showing charging from the alternator, not that I won't get a bunch of other warnings on the panel if that happens.

The one thing I don't like, so far on the Aera is that to change screens you have to go back to "Home" each time, or am I doing it wrong? It seems like an extra step, where on my 195 I could just scroll from screen to screen in sequence.

I do like the 510 a lot though, and as I get to use it more, I'm sure it will become more intuitive. I will have to look through the manuals a bit also and play with it.

Yes, we verified the voltage on the GPS was close to the JPI engine monitor, so that was good. I think it is a nice back up for showing charging from the alternator, not that I won't get a bunch of other warnings on the panel if that happens.

The one thing I don't like, so far on the Aera is that to change screens you have to go back to "Home" each time, or am I doing it wrong? It seems like an extra step, where on my 195 I could just scroll from screen to screen in sequence.

I do like the 510 a lot though, and as I get to use it more, I'm sure it will become more intuitive. I will have to look through the manuals a bit also and play with it.

we can install about 4 more of them , then you wouldn't have to change screens :yikes:

Back