Want To Buy WTB: Cessna 172 wheel or hub

Mike Gagnon

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
mmkmg
Looking for a McCauley wheel for a 172N. I may end up having to convert to Cleveland if I can't source the part. Looks like I need assembly C163003-104, or even just a serviceable hub.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that might have one, or if you have any tips for locating one.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking for a McCauley wheel for a 172N. I may end up having to convert to Cleveland if I can't source the part. Looks like I need assembly C163003-104, or even just a serviceable hub.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that might have one, or if you have any tips for locating one.

Thanks in advance.
Have you checked Texas Air Salvage? There's several Ns being parted out including some w/ McCauley wheels (SOLD) but I didn't check every listing.
https://www.texasairsalvage.com/Aircraft_list.php

If that's the 6-bolt McCauley that uses the aluminum hub and two steel rims, you're better off upgrading to the Cleveland kit. Two brand-new wheels and new brake discs and calipers and new bearings.

Those hubs were prone to cracking at the bolt holes because mechanics paid no attention to the stamped bolt torque limit on the rims. 150 inch-pounds, and McCauley meant that. No guessing. The wall of the bolt hole is really thin on the outer circumference of the hub (the side the tire and tube are on) and it won't stand overtorquing.

You might find a hub, and next year find the other one cracked too. Or need a new caliper because the old one is shot, and you won't find used McCauley calipers in any decent condition. Cessna stopped using that stuff over 40 years ago. Homebuilders (and sometimes not homebuilders) have been known to drill through those bolt holes to the other side and use long bolts and nuts to save the hub, and for a homebuilder that's OK. Unless there's an approved mod somewhere to do that to the wheels on a TC'd airplane, it's not acceptable.

IIRC, the bearings in those old wheels are more expensive too, being a seldom-used part number.

It's too bad that the Cleveland kits are so expensive. Ten years ago they were reasonable. Captive market.

If that's the 6-bolt McCauley that uses the aluminum hub and two steel rims, you're better off upgrading to the Cleveland kit. Two brand-new wheels and new brake discs and calipers and new bearings.

Those hubs were prone to cracking at the bolt holes because mechanics paid no attention to the stamped bolt torque limit on the rims. 150 inch-pounds, and McCauley meant that. No guessing. The wall of the bolt hole is really thin on the outer circumference of the hub (the side the tire and tube are on) and it won't stand overtorquing.

Initially magnesium actually - a change to aluminum to try to address the many crack issues that were showing up. This is what I was hoping I might find, but all inventory appears to have been used up.

It's too bad that the Cleveland kits are so expensive. Ten years ago they were reasonable. Captive market.

Yup - I’ll likely end up with the conversion kit given low odds of finding a suitable alternative.

Back