WTB / Borrow : King DVD on KLN94

Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
Looking to get more from my time with the KLN 94 when working on the Instrument rating and learning to work all the functions. I have the downloadable manual and reference guide, but there isn't a simulator for this King KLN94 GPS. John & Martha King have a DVD on the KLN 94, and I'd be interested in buying it used if you no longer need it , or if I can borrow it for a few weeks, I'd really appreciate it.

Have you made any traction on this? I'm looking for same.

I'm looking for the 89B one, I have the GPS 90% figured out, I'll get the last 10% figured out for less than a hunnered bucks.

I watched a youtube on the KLN94 and have the manual. It is my understading that a lot of the BK units have similar buttonology and that there is a simulator for the 89 on the BK website. You may want to check that out. ASA also has something but that's 50 bux.

I'm still hoping to score a borrowed or cheap copy of the King DVD.

No luck when I was looking either. I watched the YouTube vid and reviewed the downloadable manuals.

I'm hoping that after watching it a few more times, it give me the basics that I need to get started. Previously, I had only used Garmin units.

I'm hoping that after watching it a few more times, it give me the basics that I need to get started. Previously, I had only used Garmin units.

I have plenty of previous experience with the KLN94 but I haven't used one since 2009 and would love to knock the rust off on the ground.

I actually prefer the KLN94 coupled with the KMD550 MFD over the G1000.

I downloaded the KLN89 sim and it's worthless, so the search continues.

The King School DVD is $99 but it doesn't give enough sampling or description to determine if it's worth the price.

I have plenty of previous experience with the KLN94 but I haven't used one since 2009 and would love to knock the rust off on the ground.

I actually prefer the KLN94 coupled with the KMD550 MFD over the G1000.

I downloaded the KLN89 sim and it's worthless, so the search continues.

The King School DVD is $99 but it doesn't give enough sampling or description to determine if it's worth the price.

Group buy? I saw one for rent on the internet for $10.00 but they said it was backordered.

Search this board for the name "Paul Bell" to get a good discount off King's products... I've used him before. He works there.

Seems like there's 3 of us, that'd be 33 bucks a piece, I'm not in a hurry (Like if I could see the video between now and July or so I'd be happy) I have an 89B but I suppose it's close enough to the 94 that I'd get 33 bucks usage out of it.

The basic operation, I got. I'm getting pretty efficient with approaches, I have the $5 sporty's download video for the 89B and I guess it's worth $5.00 but I'd like a little more, The manual is pretty good but I'd like to watch someone use it and turn the knobs and see the results. The one CFI that we had that was familiar with it, moved to California.

I have the ASA GPS Trainer CD, an older version that covered the Apollo, Garmin 430 and the KLN89B; it wasn't bad. Had "emulators" that let you "simulate" your functions and button / knobology, in addition to the bundled manufacturer's simulators.

Looks like they've updated the course-ware to include the 94, "emulator" (no manufacturer simulator). Would still be useful for those who fly rentals where different units pop up from time to time and you need to 're-set' your bearings on a different unit.

http://www.sunflightavionics.com/gps-trainer-p-79.html

Less than the 94-only King course, too.

I have the ASA GPS Trainer CD, an older version that covered the Apollo, Garmin 430 and the KLN89B; it wasn't bad. Had "emulators" that let you "simulate" your functions and button / knobology, in addition to the bundled manufacturer's simulators.

Looks like they've updated the course-ware to include the 94, "emulator" (no manufacturer simulator). Would still be useful for those who fly rentals where different units pop up from time to time and you need to 're-set' your bearings on a different unit.

http://www.sunflightavionics.com/gps-trainer-p-79.html

Less than the 94-only King course, too.

I saw the ASA trainer, but would honestly rather have the DVD. Shoot me a PM and let's work out the details. I'm ready to move forward.

I just bought it. I'll post a PIREP after I view it.

Search this board for the name "Paul Bell" to get a good discount off King's products... I've used him before. He works there.

I sent him a PM but recieved no response so I decided to go ahead and order the DVD this morning.
I hope it's worth the $117 and for that price they should at least allow me some online access to view it before I recieve it.

I sent him a PM but recieved no response so I decided to go ahead and order the DVD this morning.
I hope it's worth the $117 and for that price they should at least allow me some online access to view it before I recieve it.

Yeah, he's not on the board a lot... that's why he gave his work email and phone number. I just call him directly.

I ordered the DVD and got the online thrown in and was able to complete it online before my video arrived (still not here yet). The online course includes a nice certificate you can print out after completion, no idea if the DVD has the same.

Online is convenient but if you have an iPad, they recommend paying $5 bux for an app to view the flash video. I also found that stopping the video at a particular position and returning was a no-go. If your internet connection isn't stable or you have to stop and come back later, be prepared to watch that module again, as FF doesn't work very well, even on a PC. In this respect, having the DVD wins for rewinding, and FF through items you want to go directly to. I'm glad I have the DVD coming but afterwards will probably only view it once as I felt confident after the course. Here's the feedback I sent at the conclusion of the course

Jaybird180 said:
To make this better, a few suggested changes would include:
A few areas that referenced the KLN89B shouldn't be in this course, particularly the part about LNAV/VNAV did not say what the KLN94 would qualify for, but did explain what the 89B qualifies for. The course should be updated to include the "changes" that have been made effective since the video was made that was being discussed. All VFR-only topics should be covered first including flight plans then IFR material covered. Or at minimum, there should be some explanation for VFR-only pilots for some of the vernacular they are about to be exposed to, so there will be minimal confusion or misunderstanding. The longer portion explaining the KMD-550 should be left toward the end, or should be a separate module.

However, in-spite of all this above said I did feel that I understood what key-presses would come next and felt that I had good grasp of the material during viewing that was confirmed throughout the video and at its conclusion. I think it was time/money well invested. Thank you John and Martha.

I ordered the DVD and got the online thrown in and was able to complete it online before my video arrived (still not here yet). The online course includes a nice certificate you can print out after completion, no idea if the DVD has the same.

Is this the King Schools course that you're refering to?

I just bought it. I'll post a PIREP after I view it.

I have enjoyed the online course and can't wait to receive the DVD version today.

The online course is extremely informative and has been a great refresher for me.
I also printed out and read the first three chapters of the Pilot Guide from Bendix/King and that has helped quite a bit as well. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Now that I have both the online and DVD version, I have decided that the online version is the one I prefer.
The online version keeps track of your progess and records the date of completion for each module/section.
The advantage of the DVD course is the ability to pause and restart at anytime.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it is not as nearly as indepth as I need it to be.
Maybe once I become proficient with the KLN94 I will create my own YouTube video.:yesnod:

Did you make that video yet?

What about the proficiency part? Do you feel proficient?

I can get what I need, but some of the shortcuts and other tricks, I need more of them.
For example I needed to insert a waypoint. It took me awhile to figure it out, I repeatedly put it in the wrong slot. Waypoint sequencing after using Direct To I need to figure out. And I've yet to play with inserting frequencies in the standby radio position from the GPS. VNAV fuggetaboutit..haven't tried (don't think mine is connected to baro). I also haven't tried any of the approaches. I came up with the 'brilliant' idea of using APPR mode to help me find my home drone at night (gets lost in ground clutter) to take advantage of RAIM and the increased precision modes...haven't played with that either.

Notice, I just gave you a video...

I keep the quick reference guide with me on my knee board.
I also have the complete manual that I look through from time to time to see if I pick up anything new.
The video I received from Kings Schools doesn't really go beyond the basic use of the unit, so I practice on the ground whenever I get the chance.

a8a5ebud.jpg

Last edited:
Here is part one and part two of an amateur video I found on Youtube that demonstrates how to use the KLN94.
While these two videos were not professionally made, the kid does a good job of getting the point across. :yesnod:

Back