WTB: Airplane (C150, Cher 140, C172)

PilotRPI

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
PilotRPI
Looking for a good plane to buy. Mostly interested in Cessna 150/152s, Cherokee 140s, and older Cessna 172s. Most of the stuff I've seen in the classifieds or have gone to see in person I have not been impressed with. My preferences are below:

1. If a Cessna 150: would prefer either an aerobat or IFR
  2. Good (doesn't have to be perfect) paint and interior
  3. An engine with 50-75% of TBO remaining
  4. An engine overhauled this millennium and by a reputable shop
  5. A plane that is used frequently, and hasn't sat for any period of time
Would possibly consider other planes as well, tailwheel OK. Being able to fit two folding bikes is more important than 4 seats.

Thanks!

Numbers 3-4-5 all are the same thing, kinda.

It means a plane that just got overhauled in the last few years, as if it is flown frequently, it will have more than 500-800 hours since 2001.

You will likely find a lot of trade offs that you have to decide upon.

Number 3 by itself is adequate.

The other two big items you don't address, which will impact availability and options (and price) are Avionics and Total Time on Frame.

I bought a 40% remaining motor, crappy paint, and above average avionics that hadn't flown much in last 6 years. That combination worked for me, your mileage may vary.

In the planes I've seen, 3, 4, and 5 are important distinctions. I saw a plane that had a flight school engine with several hundred hours in one year, but then sat with very little to no use for several years, and started to develop issues. Doesn't take long for a cam to become a rust rod from lack of use.

Most engines I've seen are mid-early 90s overhauls, with 10-20 hours per year. My buddy has an engine with 3800 SMOH in 1988. He flies it almost every day, and I have no problems trusting that engine.

Sounds like you got it dialed.

Good luck on your search.

Being able to fit two folding bikes is more important than 4 seats.

I have owned all of the planes you listed at one time or another. I currently have a Cherokee because I got tired of having to climb a ladder to fuel the Cessnas. The 150 just was not big enough for my needs. I would certainly recommend a Cherokee over a 150 any day, and the purchase price between the two is not much different. The back seats in my Cherokee are easily removed and would provide a good bit of space for the bikes. The down side of the Cherokee is that it only has the one door on the passenger side, which means you have to crawl over the passenger seat to get to the pilot side. For loading a bike you would be taking it up the wing with you to load, but pretty essy access to the back after that. It might be a little easier loading a bike in a 172 standing on the ground, but you would have to deal with the agrevating wing strut that would get in the way too. Good luck with your quest.

RussR in OKC (once and a while on this board) mentioned his 1974 Warrior might be going on the market soon.

I had my Warrior engine overhauled by my A&P/IA. Everything sent out and measured to new tolerances, and new Millenium cylinders.

It has almost 100 hours since June 2014 and compressions are 76-78 and one quart per 50 hour oil change...

YMMV.

I thought you were saying a Cessna 140, way more airplane than the others.

I bought a Cherokee 140 and didn't regret it. It has good useful load and can haul 3 adults or even 2 kids and 2 adults if you need it to or two adults and lots of luggage. It is still pretty economical on fuel. I sold mine (looking for a little more useful load and mountain capability), but it was a great first plane.

I have owned all of the planes you listed at one time or another. I currently have a Cherokee because I got tired of having to climb a ladder to fuel the Cessnas. The 150 just was not big enough for my needs. I would certainly recommend a Cherokee over a 150 any day, and the purchase price between the two is not much different. The back seats in my Cherokee are easily removed and would provide a good bit of space for the bikes. The down side of the Cherokee is that it only has the one door on the passenger side, which means you have to crawl over the passenger seat to get to the pilot side. For loading a bike you would be taking it up the wing with you to load, but pretty essy access to the back after that. It might be a little easier loading a bike in a 172 standing on the ground, but you would have to deal with the agrevating wing strut that would get in the way too. Good luck with your quest.

The cherokee 150s at least have a factory baggage door, there's an STC for the 140. You can get a disassembled bike in it without having to drag it up on the wing.

How much do you want to spend? I can find you an excellent copy of any of the above. They will not be $18k though.

If I wanted to load a bike, I would be looking at a Grumman. You fold down the back seat, slide back the canopy and you can load 2 regular bikes pretty easily. Want more capacity look at a Navion.

Grumman Travellers can be had for a fair price.

Last edited:
If I could fit 2 folding bikes in a Cessna 140, I would love to do that. I asked on a Cessna 140 board, and they thought only 1 would fit. I asked them for the baggage dimensions so I could know for sure.

I'm not looking spend at the low end of the range ($18k). I've been watching the market for years, and know what reasonable asking prices are for top of the line Cessna 150s, as well as really good (probably not perfect) Cherokee 140/160s and older Cessna 172s (pre-M) models. For example, I've seen C150s in great shape mechanically, with newish paint, and recent overhaul and IFR for higher 20s. Cherokee 140s with the same for low to mid 30s if patient. M and after C172 models with mid time everything are probably at least 10k more than what I have available at the moment.

Grummans would probably work. I hear they fly really well. I've just never flown one. Saw a beautiful traveler listed last year, but the guy took 2 weeks to call me back and didn't seem too interested in selling.

If I could fit 2 folding bikes in a Cessna 140, I would love to do that. I asked on a Cessna 140 board, and they thought only 1 would fit. I asked them for the baggage dimensions so I could know for sure.

I'm not looking spend at the low end of the range ($18k). I've been watching the market for years, and know what reasonable asking prices are for top of the line Cessna 150s, as well as really good (probably not perfect) Cherokee 140/160s and older Cessna 172s (pre-M) models. For example, I've seen C150s in great shape mechanically, with newish paint, and recent overhaul and IFR for higher 20s. Cherokee 140s with the same for low to mid 30s if patient. M and after C172 models with mid time everything are probably at least 10k more than what I have available at the moment.

Grummans would probably work. I hear they fly really well. I've just never flown one. Saw a beautiful traveler listed last year, but the guy took 2 weeks to call me back and didn't seem too interested in selling.

Go check the Grummans more carefully, they fit what you want to do better than any other plane in the category, and they are well supported.

Back