WTB A High End headset!(want to buy)

mike444

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
mike444
Good afternoon fellow aviators!

This is my first post, my instructor and friend told me I should use this website to seek out information. Saw that theres also a section to buy and sell on here.

Recently I started to notice I just plain up get fatigued after flying and after a little bit of reading besides workload, part of the problem seems to come from the ambient noise in the cockpit. I love my DC 13.4's but ANR headsets seem to help out exponentially! Seems like the Lightspeed zulu pfx is the latest and greatest but I can't find many reviews on them, so I thought I'd post something up, maybe I can save a little money and cut down on the fatigue!

Well like the title says I'm looking for High End headsets(A20'S,Zulu, Zulu.2's, AKG,Sennheiser), I don't want any in ear headsets because I have cauliflower from my High School Wrestling days. If anyone has headsets for sale go ahead and post and I'll respond asap! Thanks guys.

Payment Method: I hope paypal seems ok (very safe), if not we can discuss other options.

Thanks,

Mike

I have a DC ANR set. PM me if interested. Paypal is ok.

You can buy a ANR box for your existing headset and the Oregon aero comfort kit, that'll make it a whole new headset.

http://www.avweb.com/news/reviews/182561-1.html?redirected=1
Review

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/retrofit_kit.php
ANR Kit

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/stpages/oregonAero.php
Oregon aero comfort kit

If you want a full on ANR headset I'd go with Bose or Lightspeed, as they are the leaders in it, DC makes some nice passive units (I have one as my backup/pax unit) but I wouldn't want their ANR stuff.

Get on craigslist and backpage and eBay, nine times out of ten you'll find a Bose X on there from someone who washed out or upgraded.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions guys but I'm looking for more of the mainstream stuff for now, CPA I'm going to hold out and see what others have to offer for now, thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions guys but I'm looking for more of the mainstream stuff for now, CPA I'm going to hold out and see what others have to offer for now, thanks!

Don't knock Scrabo and Shane until you try their equipment. They have been getting some good feedback from the pilot community. Both quality of product and their post sale service.

Don't knock Scrabo and Shane until you try their equipment. They have been getting some good feedback from the pilot community. Both quality of product and their post sale service.

I was like you, thinking that $$$$ = quality but I can tell you, I was a skeptic when I first heard of them, you can just search on some of my previous posts but after a while I thought that $1000 headset from a "quality' company = 2 from Shane's company, so I purchased one for the wife and I think I have used it more than her recently and will be ordering the second one soon.

Sure it doesn't have built-in bluetooth - so what, was having bluetooth worth an extra $500 to me.. hell no.

Worst case, you have a 30 day no questions asked return if you dont like them.

And yes, I have previously used Bose and Lightspeed sets and still could not justify the additional $$$$ over what we got from Shane.

I was like you, thinking that $$$$ = quality but I can tell you, I was a skeptic when I first heard of them, you can just search on some of my previous posts but after a while I thought that $1000 headset from a "quality' company = 2 from Shane's company, so I purchased one for the wife and I think I have used it more than her recently and will be ordering the second one soon.

Sure it doesn't have built-in bluetooth - so what, was having bluetooth worth an extra $500 to me.. hell no.

Worst case, you have a 30 day no questions asked return if you dont like them.

And yes, I have previously used Bose and Lightspeed sets and still could not justify the additional $$$$ over what we got from Shane.

How would you guys say their clamping force was? Bluetooth is cool, but using an aux cable is no problem for me. Aggiemike88 that was my main source of concern how their warranty holds up.

None the less I would still like to hold out maybe someone has something for sale here :D

Where are you located?

You guys are the best! We're going to come up with something cool for y'all.

The only thing that I'll add Mike, is that you seem to know what you're after, so I would try several of them first and see which one fits you the best. Some of the one's that you mention have the same trial period that we do, that way you can test them out first.

There are several very good options for all different needs. It sounds like you're not focused too much on cost, but more about options for you. That's a good way to think about it. Try out as many as you can. Borrow a set from another pilot at your local field and go fly with them. The most important thing, is to get those different headsets on YOUR head until you find your match. Then think about the cost and that should help get what you want right out of the gate!

Plus, headsets do come up on here quite often, so if you find a new headset that you really love, but it's a little too much, keep an eye out for something for sale used on here.

Any of these pilots here, Paul or myself are happy to answer any questions you have. Feel free to call us too! I think AggieMike put our contact page above.

Last edited:
Shane, after a flight last weekend in hot and humid AZ summer, the headband was saturated with sweat, so is there anything you recommend I can treat the headband with, or a possible recommendation on a different headband to try.

We just got the headset with the standard headband and while comfortable, it's a sponge in summer !!!

Shane, after a flight last weekend in hot and humid AZ summer, the headband was saturated with sweat, so is there anything you recommend I can treat the headband with, or a possible recommendation on a different headband to try.

We just got the headset with the standard headband and while comfortable, it's a sponge in summer !!!

Just like your socks, gotta wash em. :) hehe, but seriously just wash it after a day of salty sweating into it. You can wash the headpad with or without the padding left in. It will just take longer to dry if you don't take out the padding inside. You could also use some ScotchGard, after the wash. It's a great protector.

Last edited:
Just like your socks, gotta wash em. :) hehe, but seriously just wash it after a day of salty sweating into it. You can wash the headpad with or without the padding left in. It will just take longer to dry if you don't take out the padding inside. You could also use some ScotchGard, after the wash. It's a great protector.

Thanks will try that tomorrow.

Washing socks...not familiar with that process....I just leave them on the floor and their mysteriously find their way back into the sock drawer, all fresh and clean

Try a set of Quiettech Halos. I've been using them for 2 years and can't imagine going back to a regular headset.

Hey shane thanks for writing on here! I have a good idea what im after yes, but with that said I just never heard of you guys (new to aviation 1 year). And so far ive read only positive comments about the squawk shoppe.

Mooney_pilot, in ear headsets would are a no go for me due to my messed up ears from wrestling in high school years ago. Just playing music through earbuds for a few songs start to hurt. Thanks for the suggestion though!

How would you guys say their clamping force was? Bluetooth is cool, but using an aux cable is no problem for me. Aggiemike88 that was my main source of concern how their warranty holds up.

None the less I would still like to hold out maybe someone has something for sale here :D

I can only speak for warrenty work with Lightspeed and David Clark, they both are champs, not that I've had anything major happen that would render the headset unusable, however little things, some my fault, they've fixed and shipped back and never asked for a dime.

Your best bet is to go out to Oshkosh (or at least a well equipped pilot shop) and try the various ones out. Everybody's head and tastes are different. A few years ago I booth hopped at Airventure and tried the top of the line from Lightspeed, Bose, Sennheiser, Beyer Deynamic, and probably a few others along with the CA in-your-ear model. I ended up with the Zulu.2 but that's just me.

In decades of Lightspeed headsets I've had exactly one failure that wasn't attributed to me dropping something heavy on the headset and that was minor (and they offered to just send me the part to fix it or I could send them the headset to be fixed). They provided me replacement parts for things I damaged.

I've never had to send my ancient Dave Clarks in. They were indestructible. In fact, I finally gave up waiting for them to break as an excuse to upgrade to ANR. They're still kicking around somewhere.

You can buy a ANR box for your existing headset and the Oregon aero comfort kit, that'll make it a whole new headset.

http://www.avweb.com/news/reviews/182561-1.html?redirected=1
Review

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/retrofit_kit.php
ANR Kit

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/stpages/oregonAero.php
Oregon aero comfort kit

If you want a full on ANR headset I'd go with Bose or Lightspeed, as they are the leaders in it, DC makes some nice passive units (I have one as my backup/pax unit) but I wouldn't want their ANR stuff.

Get on craigslist and backpage and eBay, nine times out of ten you'll find a Bose X on there from someone who washed out or upgraded.

Has anyone tried the Oregon Aero upgrade kit w/ a Bose X headset? I just did over the weekend and I'm disappointed with the results. The ANR function of the headset is greatly reduced. As soon as I put on a pair of wire Ray Bans, the ANR got worse. On descent I get a loud warbling noise, which I have been told (by Bose) in the past is caused by worn out ear pads. They are comfortable, but they destroy the ANR function, and as such aren't worth the $95.

I'm going to call them to see what they recommend but thought I'd ask if anyone had tried the kit?

Back