Wrong Surface Landing Video

I'm clearly missing the nuance between a wrong surface and a runway. To me, the wrong surface is landing on asphalt when you meant to land on a gravel bar or turf. Landing on 16R instead of the one to your left is called the wrong RUNWAY. What am I missing FAA?

So I fell victim to this recently flying into Marsh Harbour, BHS. I was absolutely lined up on the taxiway. The runway looked like an old, weeds growing in it decommissioned runway not worth of my wheels and I was certain the left was the runway because it looked new. About a half mile final I could barely see the white numbers and a threshold. Holy crap!

I'm clearly missing the nuance between a wrong surface and a runway. To me, the wrong surface is landing on asphalt when you meant to land on a gravel bar or turf. Landing on 16R instead of the one to your left is called the wrong RUNWAY. What am I missing FAA?
Wrong surface includes taxiways, taxi lanes, service roads ramp areas, etc., in addition to incorrect runways.

I feel like everything now days has a fancy way of putting things that try to sound intelligent yet not demeaning/politically correct. "Wrong Surface Landing" = "hey, you landed on the wrong runway dummy//hey dummy that was not a runway!"

5a5eb72a301ad.image.jpg

Why land your Falcon on the freshly-cleared paved runway when there's perfectly good grass next to it? At least it shows the airport properly maintains its runway safety areas.

So let's say that hypothetically I land my Champ on the grass next to the runway at the airport. Is that considered a "wrong surface landing"? Even if I hypothetically did it regularly and intentionally?

So let's say that hypothetically I land my Champ on the grass next to the runway at the airport. Is that considered a "wrong surface landing"? Even if I hypothetically did it regularly and intentionally?
In the context of the FAA's definition of "wrong surface landings" (which focus on towered airports), as long as the controller clears you to land on the grass you're good to go.

In the context of the FAA's definition of "wrong surface landings" (which focus on towered airports), as long as the controller clears you to land on the grass you're good to go.
If a controller clears a plane to land on something other than a runway, he or she will likely receive some negative feedback if Quality Assurance hears about it.

Yea, I was talking about an uncontrolled airfield and after actually watching the video I see now it doesn't apply in my hypothetical scenario

I can honestly say I've never done wrong surface, but I did once set up and start flying a long final at the wrong airfield. Worse yet, it was 5R at Wright Patt AFB instead of 6R at DAY.

If a controller clears a plane to land on something other than a runway, he or she will likely receive some negative feedback if Quality Assurance hears about it.

Helicopters do it all the time.

“Landing on the ramp is at pilot’s discretion...”

Basically all helicopter landings at my home airport include "landing is at your own risk" or words very close to that. I'm guessing that's standard when not landing on a runway (i.e. landing somewhere not directly controlled by the tower), which is most of the time where I am.

Basically all helicopter landings at my home airport include "landing is at your own risk" or words very close to that. I'm guessing that's standard when not landing on a runway (i.e. landing somewhere not directly controlled by the tower), which is most of the time where I am.
Which is silly to me... isn't landing ALWAYS at your own risk?

I asked the tower when I was based at a towered field of I could land my taildragger in the grass. I was told that if circumstances allowed, they would clear it "at pilot's own risk."

I think the subject video is a helpful reminder of what may lead to one of these mistakes.

During training at KFWS I was told that if I declare I could land on taxiway C. This also included some talk about even without an emergency you can request a closed runway 3 times and on the 3rd request you'll get cleared. [Sounded like an Austin Power's movie quote]

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1808/06917AD.PDF

Back