wrong class asel ases

I'm still curious about the insurance thing......

Almost certainly no insurance, or self-insured. No legitimate insurance company would cover you without proof of the required rating, and if they did somehow issue a policy, coverage would be denied in the event of a claim once they figured out he didn't have a seaplane rating.

Insurance is not required for flight or ownership.

Almost certainly no insurance, or self-insured. No legitimate insurance company would cover you without proof of the required rating, and if they did somehow issue a policy, coverage would be denied in the event of a claim once they figured out he didn't have a seaplane rating.

I've never been asked to produce proof of my pilot certificate for insurance purposes, although I have been required to provide my pilot certificate number.

What if he were insured to include solo flight? He wouldn't have his SES rating in that case, but would need the appropriate instructor sign-offs. My original Aztec policy said I needed 25 hours of dual, it did not require me to have the rating. I got my sign-off and soloed the plane to my checkride - insured.

I've never been asked to produce proof of my pilot certificate for insurance purposes,
Not for my own policy, but I have in other cases, like FBO's. However, every policy application I've made required me to list my certificates and ratings, and to sign at the bottom certifying that the application was true and accurate to the best of my knowledge. That gives the insurance company an easy out based on fraudulent application if upon investigation of a claim it turns you lied on the application.

What if he were insured to include solo flight? He wouldn't have his SES rating in that case, but would need the appropriate instructor sign-offs.
That would be addressed when he listed only the ASEL on the insurance application for a seaplane. The policy would include verbiage to the effect that it was only in force for flight with a qualified instructor or for solo flight once a valid, appropriate solo ensorsement was obtained.

My original Aztec policy said I needed 25 hours of dual, it did not require me to have the rating. I got my sign-off and soloed the plane to my checkride - insured.
...and I'm sure that was all addressed in the policy.

I know a guy who flew a C-47 during the Normandy invasion. He gave up flying about ten years ago, but never bothered with a civilian certificate.

I know a guy who flew a C-47 during the Normandy invasion. He gave up flying about ten years ago, but never bothered with a civilian certificate.
Eastern Airlines had a DC-7 captain who only had a PP-ASEL. When that was discovered, he took a few tests and checkrides, and then he went back to work. But that wouldn't be happening with a 121 carrier today.

Not for my own policy, but I have in other cases, like FBO's. However, every policy application I've made required me to list my certificates and ratings, and to sign at the bottom certifying that the application was true and accurate to the best of my knowledge. That gives the insurance company an easy out based on fraudulent application if upon investigation of a claim it turns you lied on the application.

That would be addressed when he listed only the ASEL on the insurance application for a seaplane. The policy would include verbiage to the effect that it was only in force for flight with a qualified instructor or for solo flight once a valid, appropriate solo ensorsement was obtained.

...and I'm sure that was all addressed in the policy.

Agreed on all points, but my point is that he may or may not be self-insured. Whether or not the insurance would pay up is another matter.

But if I were in the position of willfully flying something without the required rating, I wouldn't waste any money on insurance (by the way, I also wouldn't willfully fly something without the required rating).

Interesting... I wasn't aware that military pilots didn't get the same creds as civilians. Of course, this was a long time ago, though. So do they today get the same pilot creds that civilians get?

Insurance is not required for flight or ownership.

The only time I had to show certificate, medical, and currency to my insurance was when I had a claim. And it was even a Not In Motion claim.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back