Written test

mrjones30

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Freedom is Flying
Question: When you pass the written test does it expire after a certain amount of time?

I checked the FAA website and I didn't see any information in regards to the subject.

Thank you!

Question: When you pass the written test does it expire after a certain amount of time?

I checked the FAA website and I didn't see any information in regards to the subject.

Thank you!

Depends which exam. Flight-type exams are usually 24 calendar months. FOI, BGI, AGI and IGI are once in a lifetime (fortunately).

Depends which exam. Flight-type exams are usually 24 calendar months. FOI, BGI, AGI and IGI are once in a lifetime (fortunately).

I'm not so sure about that....

http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=37E322DFC7FF65D6852571AA00575D58

"Conduct of Airmen Knowledge Tests"

8-21. Validity Period for Tests. All airman knowledge tests have an expiration date of 24-calendar months except:

a. Airline Transport Pilots. Airline transport pilot test expiration dates may be extended for applicants who meet the requirements of part 61, § 61.39(b).

b. Flight Engineer. Flight engineer test expiration dates may be extended for applicants who meet the requirements of part 63, § 63.35(d).

Hmm, well, that order (ORDER - 8080.6E "Conduct of Airmen Knowledge Test") lists all of those exams in there, along with a test code, so I would guess it is.

Even mechanic's are considered "airmen".. I say that, because mechanics show up in the airmen's database. (Dictionary of Aeronautical Terms by Dale Crane state that an airman is a person involved in flying, maintaining, or operating aircraft. Not sure why a ground instructor wouldnt fall under that.)

And correct, about having a state license to teach k-12 making you exempt from FOI.

But, still, I think the exams still have a 24 month valid period.

Last edited:
Hmm, well, that order (ORDER - 8080.6E "Conduct of Airmen Knowledge Test") lists all of those exams in there, along with a test code, so I would guess it is.

Even mechanic's are considered "airmen".. I say that, because mechanics show up in the airmen's database. (Dictionary of Aeronautical Terms by Dale Crane state that an airman is a person involved in flying, maintaining, or operating aircraft. Not sure why a ground instructor wouldnt fall under that.)

And correct, about having a state license to teach k-12 making you exempt from FOI.

But, still, I think the exams still have a 24 month valid period.

Actually for the FOI, it's 7-12 grade. And since there's no reqt to get signed off for the xGI, and no practical test, there's no time limit on the xGI. 61.213

Actually for the FOI, it's 7-12 grade. And since there's no reqt to get signed off for the xGI, and no practical test, there's no time limit on the xGI. 61.213

Ground Instructor is an airman certificate so I would consider the AGI/BGI/IGI to be an airmen knowledge test. My AGI/IGI/FOI writtens all had an expiration date printed on the test report.

Last edited:
Ground Instructor is an airman certificate so I would consider the AGI/BGI/IGI to be an airmen knowledge test. My AGI/IGI/FOI writtens all had an expiration date printed on the test report.

Really?
How, when, why would an AGI test (for example) expire? Does one suddenly un-become a ground instructor?

Really?
How, when, why would an AGI test (for example) expire? Does one suddenly un-become a ground instructor?

The written in and of itself does not make one an BGI/AGI/IGI or whatever. You still have to present the written test to someone to get the actual certificate.

So far, I side with Andrew and Jason. I have seen no proof that the written does NOT expire.

Last edited:
The written in and of itself does not make one an BGI/AGI/IGI or whatever. You still have to present the written test to someone to get the actual certificate.

So far, I side with Andrew and Jason. I have seen no proof that the written does NOT expire.

Correct. Once you pass the BGI/AGI/IGI written you must come to the FSDO with an 8710 and have the certificate issued. The test itself does not constitute the rating.

Really?

The written exam(s) must be presented to the FSDO or an authorized DPE with an 8710-1 to receive a ground instructor certificate. What that means is that you effectively have 24 calendar months to present the info to receive your ground instructor certificate after you pass the knowledge test.

Correct. Once you pass the BGI/AGI/IGI written you must come to the FSDO with an 8710 and have the certificate issued. The test itself does not constitute the rating.

aHA!

what? I need 5 characters now? I thought it was only 4 to leave a message.

Don't rush it. Start flying first and take FAA written after you solo. By that time you're at most two months away from checkride, so the expiration does not loom.

Don't rush it. Start flying first and take FAA written after you solo. By that time you're at most two months away from checkride, so the expiration does not loom.

Heck I waited till my training was almost done before I took mine. I found it easier as I knew the knowledge rather than try to just memorize test questions/answers.

Just curious... what does "presenting" the test results to someone accomplish? I honestly don't know.

Shows that you passed the written for the certificate, same as any other rating that requires a written.

Seems a bit outdated in the modern world. When you "present" the written results for other ratings, at least you're there for something else... a practical. So it's not a waste of time.

If the testing's electronic, and the system for issuing the certificate is electronic... you'd think they could... oh, ya know... have the two systems meet over coffee and handle all the pleasantries via touching each other's tendrils of SQL statements longingly. :)

Just curious... what does "presenting" the test results to someone accomplish? I honestly don't know.

In order to take a practical exam, you need to "present" the results of the written to the DE (that certified copy that comes out of the printer). Same for the xGI - you need to present the certified test results to the local FSDO along with any needed credentials in order for the plastic card with no biometric info to be re-issued with the xGI statement.

Seems a bit outdated in the modern world. When you "present" the written results for other ratings, at least you're there for something else... a practical. So it's not a waste of time.

If the testing's electronic, and the system for issuing the certificate is electronic... you'd think they could... oh, ya know... have the two systems meet over coffee and handle all the pleasantries via touching each other's tendrils of SQL statements longingly. :)

But what about the other credentials? For example, I don't need to take the FOI (and waste the money) but I need to provide some proof that I'm university faculty. The FSDO won't accept the scanned version, I have to show it to them in person.

Part of bringing the test results in is also bringing personal identification.

I don't write the rules. :rolleyes:

Part of bringing the test results in is also bringing personal identification.

I don't write the rules. :rolleyes:

Ahh. Actually that's what I was looking for. There is another step in the process.

You present the documentation AND get ID'd.

Okay. Fine by me. Just wondered why it had to be done in person. Now I know. Wasn't attacking it.

FOI, xGI are not airmen tests, IIRC. In fact if you have a state license to teach K-12 or are college/university faculty, you are exempt from the FOI saving you $150.

Yes, it keeps the professional educators from puking all over the FAA idea of educational theory.

Back