Written Test Study Software

bqmassey

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Brandon
I'd like to find some study software for the written test. I've tried two products: Dauntless's private pilot study material (tried it a year or more ago), and ASA's Prepware on my Android device.

These both seem to work ok for general questions, but in both cases I found it impossible to answer questions that required the use of a plotter or other external tool. If I remember correctly, Dauntless did build in some measurement tools but they worked poorly, and ASA's prepware didn't appear to make any attempt to provide you with digital versions of the required tools.

So, my questions is this: Are there any computer-based test prep products that include everything you need to answer every question that may appear on the knowledge exam?

I used Gleim for my private pilot in 2006 and (on the computer) worked quite well. They had a measurement tool that worked with the graphic maps, etc.

I haven't tried their newer stuff, nor have I tried their stuff on a phone or tablet.

John

Gleim was the winner for me. Easy to use, simulated the exams well, provided ability to run lots of practice quizzes and exams, did a good job explaining why a wrong answer was not the correct answer.

+1 for Gleim. It's boring and it "teaches to the test", but it's also inexpensive. Once you answer every test question in the bank (and there are LOTS of them!!), it will let you print a "signed endorsement" from Dr. Gleim that will enable you to schedule your written exam at a test center (so you could theoretically knock out the written exam before ever meeting a real CFI for practical instruction, if you wanted to).

It's good for what it does....just don't rely on it as your sole source of written training material.

Back