Written test scheduled and close to checkride.

EchoKilo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
EchoKilo
Before I start, i just wanted to address the last few exchanges I've had in this forum. I'd like to put whatever issues arose behind. There were some pretty unnecessary shots fired at me that got way more personal than I ever got with anyone else (I never got personal with anyone). But I don't think this is a community full of jerks, so lets not dwell on this.

Now, onto my post...

I've got the written test scheduled for the 21st. The Examiner I booked with told me to check out Sheppard Air. Sheppard Air is pretty awesome because you can take free practice tests that are randomly generated. But my question is, are the questions updated with the new FAA database? I've heard that they've redone the questions for the written test. Is this true? Does anybody know how extensively it was updated? And does Sheppard Air offer the latest questions?

Also, I'm a little bit confused about the solo requirements for the PPL. Is my solo cross-country flight counted into the 10 hours minimum of solo time? Or is it on top of the 10 hours? I've got right at 40 hours total right now. I restarted my training a couple of months ago after 7 years of being out. It took me 5.2 hours of dual to solo again. I have since soloed about five times without my instructor being there. I'm up to about 5 solo hours. I have still yet to do my dual cross country with my instructor or any night flying.

Does anyone have any tips or recommended resources for written test prep and/or checkride prep?

Before I start, i just wanted to address the last few exchanges I've had in this forum. I'd like to put whatever issues arose behind. There were some pretty unnecessary shots fired at me that got way more personal than I ever got with anyone else (I never got personal with anyone). But I don't think this is a community full of jerks, so lets not dwell on this.
The good new is, very few, if any of us remember who you are or what was said, so don't be concerned about any mud slinging that happened in the past. That's a pretty common event around here anyway.

Is my solo cross-country flight counted into the 10 hours minimum of solo time? Or is it on top of the 10 hours?
The solo cross-country time does count toward your overall solo time.

Sheppard Air does do everything they can to provide the most up to date question bank.

As changes are discovered and implemented, the latest version of the database is downloaded to your device.

Sheppard also has a "no surprises" guarantee. So if during the exam, you are presented with a question that you don't recall studying for, memorize the question and the answers and send that to them. Sheppard will then refund the purchase cost you paid.

One thing to keep in mind about SheppardAir is that their system is designed to help you memorize the question-answer pairing so that you can pass the written exam. They rightly claim that their system is not for gaining a deep understanding of the material.

For the written, this can be acceptable. But for the DPE, you need to have a good understanding of the ACS required items so that if he asks "Why is this a big deal?", you can answer the what, why, and wherefore about the topic.

Regarding the solo time.... Your instructor and you should be working together to complete the IACRA entries. This is where you take the summation of your time and put it into the FAA system.

And you instructor had better well know the required amount of time for the different categories. By sending you to the DPE and submitting the information into IACRA, it is he who is certifying that you have the required time in each of the categories.

If the DPE says you're short in something, it will be the CFI he will have issues with on this subject.

Regarding the solo time.... Your instructor and you should be working together to complete the IACRA entries. This is where you take the summation of your time and put it into the FAA system.

And you instructor had better well know the required amount of time for the different categories. By sending you to the DPE and submitting the information into IACRA, it is he who is certifying that you have the required time in each of the categories.

If the DPE says you're short in something, it will be the CFI he will have issues with on this subject.
I don't think the CFI has any trouble understanding the requirements, it's the OP who was curious about it.

I don't think the CFI has any trouble understanding the requirements, it's the OP who was curious about it.
Right.... but what I wrote was also intended to reassure EK that the instructor wouldn't have said "Schedule a DPE" unless he met the time requirements in addition to the skill requirements.

Kind of stressed over the upcoming examinations. Not so much the knowledge test, but the practical test.

Also, in the past couple solos I've done, my patterns, approaches, and landings were horrible. Crazy how one day you're killing it and the next day you forget how to land.

Kind of stressed over the upcoming examinations. Not so much the knowledge test, but the practical test.
Obtain a copy of the ACS for Private Pilot. This is the "open book" for your exam. Go through each section thinking of possible questions and their answers.

Once you are able to smoothly answer the questions from each section, you're gonna be aces during the actual exam.

If it helps, review this video. This is the school that @write-stuff is involved with. They did a mock oral exam and recorded it for everyone's benefit. It will help you see how the scenario based questions will be asked.

Also, in the past couple solos I've done, my patterns, approaches, and landings were horrible. Crazy how one day you're killing it and the next day you forget how to land.
Not out of the ordinary. It happens to me and lots of other people.

Are you verbalizing what you are doing and thinking? Talking out loud as you manipulate the controls and recognize how the airplane is flying will help two ways: First, it calms you down and keeps you on task versus chaotic warp speed thinking. Second, it helps the examiner know what's going on in the left seat.

The flying part or the oral exam part? The oral 'should' be way less intense compared to the written. I think you'd be unlucky to get a DPE that tries to dig that deep in the oral. Don't give him reason too. They shouldn't expect you to be an encyclopedia and if you know where to find the answer you should be ok, so I wouldn't stress as much about the oral as the written. I'm not saying I didn't stress as much about it, but in hindsight.....

Just a note that Sheppard doesn’t offer prep for the private pilot knowledge test. They redirect you to Sporty’s.

Just a note that Sheppard doesn’t offer prep for the private pilot knowledge test. They redirect you to Sporty’s.

That's what I thought. co-pilot is using Dauntless because there wasn't (or isn't) a Sheppard for PPL. I'm using Sheppard for IFR.

Prepping for the written and practical at the same time? That's unusual. How come you waited so long to do the written?

Use all available resources in preparation for both the written and the practical. I purchased the King course early in my training but I think you are past the point where it would do you a lot of good. There are several free online practice tests for the written. As far as the practical test one of the best resources I used was an Amazon Kindle book: "Private Pilot Checkride Preparation and Study Guide" by Virgil Royer
I just passed my checkride last Saturday.

Now, onto my post...

I've got the written test scheduled for the 21st. The Examiner I booked with told me to check out Sheppard Air. Sheppard Air is pretty awesome because you can take free practice tests that are randomly generated. But my question is, are the questions updated with the new FAA database? I've heard that they've redone the questions for the written test. Is this true? Does anybody know how extensively it was updated? And does Sheppard Air offer the latest questions?

Also, I'm a little bit confused about the solo requirements for the PPL. Is my solo cross-country flight counted into the 10 hours minimum of solo time? Or is it on top of the 10 hours? I've got right at 40 hours total right now. I restarted my training a couple of months ago after 7 years of being out. It took me 5.2 hours of dual to solo again. I have since soloed about five times without my instructor being there. I'm up to about 5 solo hours. I have still yet to do my dual cross country with my instructor or any night flying.

Does anyone have any tips or recommended resources for written test prep and/or checkride prep?
I would recommend ASA's 2018 test prep book, $13 and comes with the written test supplement book and a written endorsement if you don't want to bother your CFI for one.

Link: http://a.co/bb5dqe1

I would recommend ASA's 2018 test prep book, $13 and comes with the written test supplement book and a written endorsement if you don't want to bother your CFI for one.

Link: http://a.co/bb5dqe1
@EchoKilo -- I highlighted getting the written test supplement because getting a good hard look at the current one before the written exam can actually help you.

A surprising number of the answers from the written are contained in various areas of the supplement. Answers from the chart legends, the excerpts from the front section of the regional chart supplement, and much more.

Familiarizing yourself with what is in the test supplement book and where it is located can really help increase your confidence for the written.

Additional resources from ASA can be found at this link: http://www.asa2fly.com/Private-C347.aspx

Prepping for the written and practical at the same time? That's unusual. How come you waited so long to do the written?
It is what it is. I'll get it done

Twice a year representatives from ASA, Gleim,, the Kings, and who knows who else meet in DC with the test preparers...Jackie Spanitz, ASA's Curriculum Director and General Manager, should go back there this month. I do not know what information is exchanged at these meetings but I know for sure that there is a level of mutual understanding between the test preparers and the test prep industry. No one gets "updated questions."

Bob

Twice a year representatives from ASA, Gleim,, the Kings, and who knows who else meet in DC with the test preparers...Jackie Spanitz, ASA's Curriculum Director and General Manager, should go back there this month. I do not know what information is exchanged at these meetings but I know for sure that there is a level of mutual understanding between the test preparers and the test prep industry. No one gets "updated questions."

Bob
Hmm... interesting. I was watching a video with that Jason dude from MZeroA and he was talking about how the PPL knowledge test questions had changed sand that he had gotten all the new questions in his new book/product. Guess he was just trying to sell books.

Guess he was just trying to sell books.
And his product is pretty pricey for what it is.

On a friend's recommendation, I had purchased Jason's "pass your checkride book" for the IFR oral exam.... And it was really no different from the ASA Oral Exam Guide.... just 3 to 4 times the price.

Honestly, you don't need the oral guides since all of the questions are going to be presented to you as a scenario, versus rote memory Q&A. If you review the ACS as I mentioned, there are all of the questions that are going to be asked. Just be really familiar with that content of the ACS and you'll do well in the exam.

I just got licensed three weeks ago. I wish I had done my written much closer to the oral. I had 3-4 months between. Good luck!

I'm probably looking at about 10-12 more hours of training to finish up my license. At the rate I'm flying, it'll be about another month and a half. I've got time before my checkride, so I'm going to focus on the written test for now. I'm just going to go the route of memorizing the correct answers for now. It just makes more sense in the time frame I've got to work with. Then once the monkey is off my back I can go back and study the concepts without pressure. Once I get my license, my flying is not going to be very complicated anyway. Just simple local flying at my untowered local airport.

Hmm... interesting. I was watching a video with that dude from xxxx and he was talking about how the PPL knowledge test questions had changed sand that he had gotten all the new questions in his new book/product. Guess he was just trying to sell books.

Just remember that he is also the same dude who said he was honored when the FAA asked him to rewrite the PHAK and the Airplane Flying Handbook. As they say, we're in the post-truth era now.

Not sure availability of instructors near ya but you can consider doing a mock checkride with an instructor your not familiar with. May help.

Back