Written Test References

bqmassey

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Brandon
Hi folks.

I'm starting to prepare for my written test (private pilot—rotorcraft/helicopter).

I'd like to find a list of all of the publications that the questions are derived from. I spend a lot of time with no internet access, so I'd like to download the PDFs (if available) for offline viewing.

I know some of the obvious ones, but does a list exist somewhere of all of the reference material for the test questions?

Thanks.

Wouldn't the preface of the test guide have that info? Not sure, just a thought.

The commercial test prep materials generally provide references for each question, and usually a list of references up front. However, the following should pretty well get you through the written test:
  • 14 CFR Parts 1, 43, 61, and 91.
  • Airplane/Rotorcraft (as applicable) Flying Handbook
  • Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge
  • Aeronautical Information Manual
  • AC 00-06 Aviation Weather
  • AC 00-45 Aviation Weather Services
The commercially-produced FAR/AIM books generally have a list of which sections to study for each level of test (Private, Instrument, Commercial, etc), so the actual book is a good idea for that (personally, I prefer the ASA version due to its formatting and physical size).

Gleim books have every question answered with a reference to the specific regulatory or advisory source.

Thanks for the help, folks. I went to check out some of these links, and it appears that a good portion of the FAA website is not functioning.

I'll try again when it's back up. I'd really like to have digital copies of them all.

Thanks for the help, folks. I went to check out some of these links, and it appears that a good portion of the FAA website is not functioning.
FAA web site seems to be having a problem this morning.
Saturday, October 30, 2010

Many sections of the FAA.gov website are currently not available. We are working to restore our site as quickly as possible.

Back