Written test prep advice?

fiveoboy01

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dirty B
I'm sure there are hundreds of threads on this, but I'm too lazy to search:D

I will probably be taking the written in 2 weeks or so. I've been studying like crazy and doing test after test on Sporty's, and exams5pilots.com.

Any tips?

I keep getting stumped on ADF navigation. It should be really simple... I have zero problem with VOR navigation, so I feel pretty stupid having trouble with ADF. Any resource online to dumb it down for me?

ADF is easy if you remember this basic formula:

RB + MH = MB

Rubber Boots + Muddy Hole = Muddy Boots

or

Relative Bearing + Magnetic Heading = Magnetic Bearing

The problems are solved like this....

Say you are flying along and your instructor asks you to "fly to the XYZ NDB". What course do you need to fly to accomplish that? That course is "Magnetic Bearing" or MB

So you check your chart to find the frequency, tune it into the ADF and properly identify it. The needle on the ADF swings to point at 150-degrees.

This means that from your present position, the NDB is behind you and to your left (remember, the ADF compass rose card is fixed and cannot be moved. The needle always points to the station relative to where your nose is.

150-degrees is the Relative Bearing (Rubber Boots) to the station. Again, relative to which way the aircraft's nose is pointed.

Now when you check your compass and Directional Gyro, they are saying you're on a 30-degree course. This is....... Magnetic Heading. (Muddy Hole)

So, if you are flying on a 30-degree course ( MH ) and a the needle ( RB ) is pointing at 150-degrees, Which way do you turn and what course do you fly to head toward the NDB?

RB + MH = MB
30 + 150 = ??

Answer: 180 Degrees

And you're already at 30-degrees, so what's the simplest way to get to 180-degrees? Turn to the right.

Another way this will get asked is "The magnetic bearing to the station is 270, and your magnetic compass is indicating that you're flying Northeast. Where is the station relative to your location.

RB + MH = MB
?? + 45 = 270
?? = 270 -45
?? = 215

And where is 215 on the ADF compass rose? Behind and to your right.

This video does a good job explaining the concepts: http://youtu.be/_TZ3EjSYWfY

Last edited:
Unfortunately Laser Grade does have "D. My aircraft is not equipped with an ADF" as a potential answer.

My advice

Do the ASA test prep book from cover to cover. Read all sections and do all practice test questions once. If you miss a question do not move on until you understand why you missed it and why the correct answer is correct.

Do Gleim practice tests until you score in the 90s every time.

Go take the test, score 90+.

ADFs are easy, they always point to the NDB station. The rest you just have to figure out on your own.

I like the glide books and have had good lock with them all the way to the ATP.good luck

I'm sure there are hundreds of threads on this, but I'm too lazy to search:D

I will probably be taking the written in 2 weeks or so. I've been studying like crazy and doing test after test on Sporty's, and exams5pilots.com.

Any tips?

I keep getting stumped on ADF navigation. It should be really simple... I have zero problem with VOR navigation, so I feel pretty stupid having trouble with ADF. Any resource online to dumb it down for me?

I took mine 2 weeks ago and was having the same problem as you with ADF...I finally learned it and was kinda ****ed they only asked ONE ADF question on my test. I put a couple hours into learning that stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm consistently scoring 80+ percent on practice tests(of which I feel like I've taken a million of) and I'm now working on areas where I have been getting questions wrong.

Written is next Thursday. Between now and then I'm going to be burying my head in study guides and practice tests. I know I'll pass, but I'd like to see 90% or better to be happy with myself.

For training, try www.luizmonteiro.com...set up some of the situations given as test questions and work them out.

For practical purposes, forget about it. Chances are really good that you will get no ADF questions at all. If you get one and miss it, no big deal....no one cares if you score 100 except you. When I took my writtens, many decades ago, I received passing scores....that's enough said about that.

Bob Gardner

Back