written question question, weather

exncsurfer

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
exncsurfer
To me, these two questions seem to contradict each other, i just got the first one wrong in a sample test, and the second one which I got right shows why I got the first one wrong:

When may hazardous wind shear be expected?
- When stable air crosses a mountain barrier where it tends to flow in layers forming lenticular clouds.
- Following frontal passage when stratocumulus clouds form indicating mechanical mixing.
- In areas of low-level temperature inversion, frontal zones, and clear air turbulence. (correct answer)

Possible mountain wave turbulence could be anticipated when winds of 40 knots or greater blow
- across a mountain ridge, and the air is stable. (correct answer)
- parallel to a mountain peak, and the air is stable.
- down a mountain valley, and the air is unstable.

I picked the mountain barrier for the first one(as is correct for the 2nd one). I guess it just comes down to one being the BEST answer vs. a correct answer?

The way I was taught... shear is a rapid change in airspeed or air direction over a short distance... either vertical or horizontal. Like a strike slip fault or a thrust fault, where you have two masses slipping next to each other with a boundary between them.

MWT is not that. It is the behavior of the entire air mass moving across a ridge. More like a wave in the ocean in which the entire water column is doing something in a current.

The way I was taught... shear is a rapid change in airspeed or air direction over a short distance... either vertical or horizontal. Like a strike slip fault or a thrust fault, where you have two masses slipping next to each other with a boundary between them.

MWT is not that. It is the behavior of the entire air mass moving across a ridge. More like a wave in the ocean in which the entire water column is doing something in a current.
OK, yea, I think i'm getting my shear and turbulence mixed up. I was thinking of the rotor clouds as being a shear danger on the other side of the mountain ridge. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back