Written Expired During Discontinuance -- Updating IACRA??

audiododd

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dodd
Has anyone experienced this...

I started my check ride the other week. I got through the oral and the preflight and the winds were picking up (of course, ahead of the forecast) all throughout the area we would be flying in. I decided to discontinue and we are now trying to reschedule around both of our schedules.

HOWEVER, in the meantime my written expired and I am scheduling a re-take. I am going to call the IACRA help desk next week and ask the question, but has anybody had any experience with entering a new written into IACRA once the application has been signed by the student and instructor?

Thanks,

Dodd

I'm in the exact same situation. My DPE told me to start over and create a new application...

Kirk Smith Cary, NC

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

From FAA.Gov:

How long is a satisfactorily completed knowledge test valid?

A satisfactorily completed knowledge test expires two years from the day it was taken. If a practical test is not satisfactorily completed during that period, another knowledge test must be taken.

IOW...you must re-take the knowledge test. :(

And also a new IACRA application.

Mike,

Thanks for the info. I knew I had to retake the test (going to schedule it tomorrow), but wasn't sure if I could have the FAA update the application or if I would have to start a new one. How does that work with an existing application that has a valid discontinuance on it? Will the system even let me start a new application with another one open?

Dodd

2 years from test date or the last day of the 24th month after passing?

Odd that the exam is date specific when every thing questioned on the exam is not.

2 years from test date or the last day of the 24th month after passing?
End of the month.
Sec. 61.39

Prerequisites for practical tests.

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b), (c), and (e) of this section, to be eligible for a practical test for a certificate or rating issued under this part, an applicant must:
(1) Pass the required knowledge test:
(i) Within the 24-calendar-month period preceding the month the applicant completes the practical test, if a knowledge test is required;

In the name of completeness, I contacted the IACRA help desk and they said the same as Mike and as Kirk's DPE. Once the application is signed, no one can change it. They said to create a new application but to make sure that the DPE pulls the correct application when finalizing the check ride. If the examiner uses the application with the expired written, an audit could turn up the fact that you were not eligible to take the practical and they "could" pull your ticket and make you retake the test/check ride. Would that actually happen...who knows, but better safe than sorry.

I'm retaking my written on May 12th and hopefully finishing the check ride the week of the 25th.

In the name of completeness, I contacted the IACRA help desk and they said the same as Mike and as Kirk's DPE. Once the application is signed, no one can change it. They said to create a new application but to make sure that the DPE pulls the correct application when finalizing the check ride. If the examiner uses the application with the expired written, an audit could turn up the fact that you were not eligible to take the practical and they "could" pull your ticket and make you retake the test/check ride. Would that actually happen...who knows, but better safe than sorry.

I'm retaking my written on May 12th and hopefully finishing the check ride the week of the 25th.

Exactly. The old application will still be in the IACRA system. You start a new application. Your CFI and the DPE will accept the new app with your new written results.

BTDT with a couple of students. Good luck!!

Back