Written exam

TRC1969

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TRC
I will be taking the written exam very soon. I have a question about cross country questions. On my ground school software(King) the NM chart scale does not match the scale on my plotter. That easy enough to overcome with a few adjustments but can I expect the same thing on the test? I read it is computer based. Will I be laying the plotter on a computer screen trying to measure distance like I do while studying. Just wondering. It works but is a cumbersome process while laying my IPad flat on the table. I could imagine trying to do it on a vertical computer screen.

They'll give you a copy of FAA-CT-8080-2H, the full thing, in hard copy. Google it and you can get a copy. Not to scale.

That said, just a heads up, at least where I took my exam, you weren't allowed to draw in the book, you were supposed to use this plastic overlay and use a super fat expo marker to draw on it. Not great for precision when sometimes answers are 1 or 2 degrees different, and when the plastic moves easily.

Best of luck!

Seems par for the course. I will order the book and do some samples. Just seems kinda goofy to do it that way. Adding an extra layer of something to work through. Oh well thousands have been successful and I feel like I will to. Practice makes perfect, or at least 70%!

I used the edge of a piece of scrap paper to measure my distance from point to point. 1 end of paper at start and a pencil mark at the end then measured it out on the scale provided on the map against the marks on the paper.

That’s the way I have been doing it while studying. I can work through it but it just seems kind of cumbersome for absolutely no good reason.

You'll be given a book with all the figures in it. The chart figures are not at normal sectional scale so the nm scale on your plotter won't be correct.

I recommend getting the book and running some practice questions with it, its a bit fiddly.

https://www.amazon.com/FAA-CT-8080-2H-Knowledge-Testing-Supplement-Recreational/dp/B08TGYWPTV/ref=sr_1_3?crid=145CO5MHILHLQ&dchild=1&keywords=faa+supplement+book&qid=1632172200&sprefix=faa+sup,aps,221&sr=8-3

@TRC1969

Oh no please don't get that one. Another con artist trying to pass off the book as his own.

The copy from ASA is cheaper:
https://www.amazon.com/ASA-Airman-Knowledge-Testing-Supplement/dp/B01K0L2WOA/

Or you can get their entire test prep book that comes with it:
https://www.amazon.com/Private-Pilot-Test-Prep-2021/dp/1619549654/

Read all the charts before solving. Every sectional in the test book is labeled not to scale. Not all are. Put you sectional nautical mile plotter scale on the test chart scale. If they match you can use the plotter.

On sectionals use the scale marked 1:500,000. On TAC charts use the scale marked 1:250,000. On charts marked "Not for navigation" use the scale marked "Not for plotting."

Last edited:
Good point “do not use for navigation”. Excellent indicator of screwy scale….Thanks for that info.

The truth is that the one that gets 70% passes just as well as the one with 100% ... ;)

You'll do just fine!

But your oral will be more difficult as you have many more areas than need to be touched on.

A DPE will look at your test sheet and if there are not a lot of codes listed will only lightly gloss over most subjects are the test tells them that you understand x but not y.

So if you got a 70, either take it again or and study for a better grade of be ready for a very thorough oral portion.

A DPE will look at your test sheet
So should your CFI, and they should review and make sure you are up to speed on any areas you were deficient on for the written. This means more ground review prior to your checkride, so a better score on the written can actually save you a bit of money.

Remember if they refer you to the book to find the answer the answer is on there somewhere.

Back