Written exam question?

Mike Smith

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fresh Prince of PrattVegas
I am going for my written exam next week. When I take the exam, I know I can take my E6b, my plotter and a basic calculator. My question is about the maps, when you have to figure time, heading etc., do you have to use the computer screen, or do you get paper to use? Also the performance charts?

They gave me a binder that had hard copies of everything and even a transparency with
1 NM marked off to go with the hard copies to use as a ruler

Not sure if that was being interpreted as sarcasm. It's rare but I was being straight.

They did provide a hard copy of every map and every diagram that would be used on the lasergrade exam.

The transparency w/ the 1nm markings was to be used w/ their hard copies since holding it up to the monitor would not be accurate.

I used my E6B but figured everything else out using what they provided.

You'll also find that you'll have a really nice onscreen electronic E6B if you go to a laser grade center.

The place I took it provided a bound copy of the "Airman Knowledge Testing Supplement for Sport Pilot, Recreational Pilot, and Private Pilot" aka FAA-CT-8080-2F. You can see it online here: https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/sport_rec_private_akts.pdf

They didn't want people writing in the book, so they provided a transparency and a grease pencil to use as an overlay. That sounded really annoying, but it was actually helpful because not all the figures are printed at the right scale, so the ruler on your plotter will be wrong. With the transparency, I could move the course line over to the scale printed on the figure and measure it that way.

Good luck on the exam!

Be very cautious with the maps in the testings supplement. They are NOT to scale with what an official sectional would be. I think virtually all of them have a scale on the side, double check that against your plotter. I really screwed up a question on the exam because of this (and of course my screw up led me directly into an incorrect alternative).

I see there are various models of E6-B. Anybody have a recommendation? Good luck on the test, Mike!

I had the same experience with the charts given being not to scale. It was super frustrating after doing all the practice exams using the Gleim book with the same charts printed to the proper size. I was like WTF? You're gonna give me a time limit, then make everything take longer because you cant print your materials to the scale that I'll be using in my actual flight planning.

I see there are various models of E6-B. Anybody have a recommendation? Good luck on the test, Mike!

The metal ones are the least expensive, but take practice to learn. Big plus is no need for batteries.

The ASA CX2 is the best of the electronic ones that is permitted into the exams.

Several good ones exist for smartphones.

lasergrade/ PSI and use the built-in electronic one. All you really need to use it for is to check (not even find!) the wind corrections and times they give as options.

That almost doesn't seem fair that one testing center provides an onscreen E6B where as CATS just offers a basic calculator. I found my metal one just about useless on the test as the choices were often too close to be able to tell which is the correct answer.

The metal ones are the least expensive, but take practice to learn. Big plus is no need for batteries.

The ASA CX2 is the best of the electronic ones that is permitted into the exams.

Several good ones exist for smartphones.
The heavy cardboard ones are even less expensive. The iPhone ones are ok but are not allowed for testing.

That almost doesn't seem fair that one testing center provides an onscreen E6B where as CATS just offers a basic calculator. I found my metal one just about useless on the test as the choices were often too close to be able to tell which is the correct answer.

That's life eh?

Yeah the CATs one is just like the built in winblows calculator.

Thanks for the insights on the E6-B, all. Great forum!

ETA, sorry for thread drift, OP.

Last edited:
Not sure if that was being interpreted as sarcasm. It's rare but I was being straight.

They did provide a hard copy of every map and every diagram that would be used on the lasergrade exam.

The transparency w/ the 1nm markings was to be used w/ their hard copies since holding it up to the monitor would not be accurate.

I used my E6B but figured everything else out using what they provided.

No, I was being straight. It does make sense that they would provide a book, I just hadn't thought of it. The go to bed comment was just meant to be funny, it was late you know. My intent on humor was foiled by the internet again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just used the whiz wheel that came in my Gleim "Private Pilot" box. Even used the flight bag for a couple of more years. Still have the wheel but don't use it much. Bought Sportys indestructible plotter after the Gleim one got too warm and warped at one end.

Whatever you choose, practice with it and get comfortable. You'll need it on your checkride. I had to check winds aloft and compare with forecast, then verify flight time to destination with my original number for fuel. On the diversion, I also had to re-spin winds & flight time to verify I had fuel to reach it.

Practice, practice! These were done while flying the plane, and the diversion was given to me in the air so I couldn't prepare for where it might be. Turn in the general direction, find it on the sectional, refine course, reset heading, knowing the winds from before spin the wheel for flight time. Oh, and watch heading and altitude. It wasn't as difficult as it sounds. Did I mention practice with the E6B / whiz wheel / whatever until you're comfortable with that particular unit? :)

Good luck, Mike!! Your instructor wouldn't sign you off for the test if he thought you were not prepared.

NB: maps NOT to scale - so using the plotter to measure distance is a BAD thing

No, I was being straight. It does make sense that they would provide a book, I just hadn't thought of it. The go to bed comment was just meant to be funny, it was late you know. My intent on humor was foiled by the internet again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Examples of the supplement book. An be found from different sources. With gettig. Familiar with it since some answers to the written exams are right there in the book of you know which page to find it on. Examples of this are various legends and tables that are part of other often used FAA publications.

Be very cautious with the maps in the testings supplement. They are NOT to scale with what an official sectional would be. I think virtually all of them have a scale on the side, double check that against your plotter. I really screwed up a question on the exam because of this (and of course my screw up led me directly into an incorrect alternative).

As long as the printed chart is not skewed, the lines of latitude can be used for a scale. One arc minute of latitude = 1 NM.

Back