Written 141 vs 61

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
I am too lazy to look it up, but if a part 61 instructor signs off for a knowledge exam for a 141 student, that doesn't cause the student to run afoul of any gotchas being in the 141 program does it?

Stepsontobe is in a 141 program at Florida Tech, asked if I could sign him off for the Pvt Pilot written while on winter break.

Of course I can sign him off, but does it cause any issues with the whole 1000 hours to R-ATP route?

Depends on their TCO… but generally not. He will still have to do (pay) for the ground lessons, but the score should still be good and he should NOT have to take the official PSI AKT test again.

And he can concentrate on USEFUL knowledge rather than test prep.

Depends on their TCO… but generally not. He will still have to do (pay) for the ground lessons, but the score should still be good and he should NOT have to take the official PSI AKT test again.

My understanding is a passing AKT score is much less debatable with some program than a sign-off by itself, but taking the ground is still required.

Uh, “a sign off by itself”? As far as I know there is no way to get credit for a AKT than actually taking it.

I could be wrong…

Trivia… CONTRARY to their (the FAA’s) own regs, the FAA will not allow ANYONE to be a ODA for AKT testing OTHER THAN psi. I tried. Got that exact response from the ODA authority in OKC. Unreal. Just another example of the FAA ruling by unpublished internal policy RATHER THAN federal law….

Therefore, if there IS a way to get credit for an AKT other than PSI testing, I’d LOVE to know about it.

Uh, “a sign off by itself”? As far as I know there is no way to get credit for a AKT than actually taking it.

I could be wrong…

Trivia… CONTRARY to their (the FAA’s) own regs, the FAA will not allow ANYONE to be a ODA for AKT testing OTHER THAN psi. I tried. Got that exact response from the ODA authority in OKC. Unreal. Just another example of the FAA ruling by unpublished internal policy RATHER THAN federal law….

Therefore, if there IS a way to get credit for an AKT other than PSI testing, I’d LOVE to know about it.

I spoke of the endorsement necessary to take the AKT. There are some 141 operations that will not accept an endorsement to take the AKT if it does not come from one of their approved instructors, because the operation also hosts a PSI center that handles all their testing needs, FAA or elsewise.

That’s an internal policy most people would not know to challenge.

Ah. Gotcha. Ya, I could see that. I wrote my TCOs to have a caveat to get one from my school, but doesn’t prevent someone from doing it outside the school. Could see someone doing that.

As you've already surmised, nothing stops you from giving him the sign-off, and the score would be official. The 141 school will still make him sit for the ground, but they can't make him re-take the written. However, restesting is not limited to just after a failure. He is welcome to retest if he thinks he can do better. Personally, I've not ever done this, but if I had scored below 90%, I'd have given it a thought. I wouldn't want to show up to the oral with too rich of a target for the DPE.

Back