Writing your own Will without lawyer

I presume that your on the job injury had some bearing on the retirement.
The injury had a lot to do with retiring. I may pick up some side work in the future. But for now I'm just get the house in order. We have lived here 25 years and have a lot of stuff that has not been used in years. I need to sort that stuff out and sell it or give it away. Hopefully this summer will have some good weather and I can paint the house and build a workshop...

Honestly, if you are asking for legal opinions on a website, you're already not a candidate to be your own legal representation. Book an hour with an attorney. If anyone is going to have to work with your estate, they will thank you.

In most states a holographic will will do the trick.. Just ask the Howard Hughes estate... :)

One thing I learned in business law is that probate law is not to be trifled with. For most other court cases, there are words like "reasonable" and "customary" applies, with probate law it's what the will says, unless the will is asking to do something that is contrary to the laws of the state in which it is being probated in, so don't try a do it yourself approach.

Our household major assets are our house, two taxable brokerage accounts which are in my name, and my and my wife's retirement accounts. The house is held in joint tenancy with rights of survivorship, so when one of us is gone the house belongs to the survivor. If we were both to die at the same time, it gets sold and each of our daughters gets half the proceeds. All the retirement accounts have beneficiaries, so on death the surviving spouse gets the other's account. The taxable accounts are in my name , and are set up with a transfer on death order. I have my wife as the primary beneficiary and my daughters as contingent beneficiaries. In our case, about the only thing left that our wills would cover are our cars and what little bit our personal property would sell for.

One other thought: If you've had a complicated life, you need a complicated will. If you've been married three times and have children with two and want to leave most of your money to your mistress, you're going to need some significant legal efforts. On the other had if you've been married for 25 year and want to leave all your estate to your wife, that's really simple to draw up.

We had wills done many years ago and drew them up an a way that they are still valid. No reason you can't do the same.

Last edited:
A great lawyer might be great, but how do you know you have a great lawyer. For a will, you won’t know the outcome until after you’re dead, so you’ll never know. Why feed the blood suckers lol.

Don't all lawyers think they are great? You don't know if your lawyer is any good till they get confronted by another lawyer and then they end up arguing over your pennies while spending both sides dollars. There is no money in a solution for them across anything they do, in any legal realm. They purposely write garbage to build the industry.

If you are leaving something to people you love/like, think about what's involved in settling the estate as much or more than where money goes and the cost of your will. As a few have mentioned already, settling an estate can be a real chore. An example would be setting up trusts on modest value estates. The effort of unwinding them and distributing the proceeds is brutal. Be ready to be best friends with a bank, notary, attorney, tax accountant and a host of other folks who will want original, notarized copies of pages and pages of stuff to do the most rudimentary of tasks.

When you have multiple millions, it makes sense, for tens of thousands, not so much. Yet people do that to "avoid probate" and to reduce inheritance tax.. You can wipe out the whole value settling it if you're not careful.

Also remember that there are differences (sometimes very substantial ones) between states when it comes to estate law. Even if you have a professionally-drawn will, if you have since moved to another state, you should have an attorney licensed in that state look it over.

In many states, notably Virginia, if you can, through POD's and beneficiary designations get the estate value down to $50k or less, your executor can settle the will and probate issues and minimize probate tax with something called a Small Estate Affidavit outside of probate court and wrap the whole thing up in one swell foop.

If you don't own real property, or own your home jwros with your spouse, something to look in to.

Back