Writing effective checklists

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
Anybody know of good guidance on developing checklists? CFIs have often recommended I write my own for the rentals.

I just got an airplane, and I wanted to develop a set to get started with.

I do believe not everyone works through processes the same.

It's worth tapping into the 1000s of hours of experience out there to get it started on the right foot.

Thanks

The key is that in writing your own list the items can be in virtual shorthand because you, personally, will know what the implications are. You aren't wording it to accommodate a first time stranger and striving to ensure that he get's it. Also it's somewhat dynamic meaning it can evolve so I'd avoid going overboard making laminated hard copies. A piece of paper is good and when it gets rough or you want to alter or amend it just print out a new one.

Of course these days it'll probably be on your smart phone and you can have it "read" to you :rolleyes:

I bought a laminated checklist for $3.99 and it is more complete than one I might make myself.

Its not worth missing something important in my opinion.

My primary CFI wanted me to write my own. It does teach me to read the checklist in the POH and figure out 'why' certain things are done the way they are. I used to do this for every plane I rent, but I've gotten lazy and not done one yet for the latest plane I got checked out in.

I like having my homemade checklists printed on regular paper instead of laminated. That way I can pencil in or highlight any item I want to pay particular attention to. I can optimize for myself, too.

One thing I add at the bottom of each page is local frequencies. That's nice, except that I can fly the same model airplane at two different FBOs at two different airports. Then I have to make sure I'm using the correct freqs.

More and more I am getting used to the pre-printed surecheck or checkmate lists, though. There always seems to be one in the plane anyway.

When I use a checklist the first couple of times I print it on paper and mark it up. After I'm done editing it I update and laminate it. I say this because I guarantee that my first checklist will be ... Ineffective :)

Like to use POA as guide and then print it on knee pad sized paper using regular black ink and red ink for major items that can cause a serious problem. Also print it out in large font for my old eyes ,then I laminate it usually have a spare copy in the plane.

Developing a checklist helps build your knowledge of systems.
I developed my own, but use a commercial laminated checklist. The development process helped my understanding.
For example, in my Cherokee, once I had a better understanding of the fuel system, my current procedure is different from any checklist.

I want to verify that both the electric and mechanical pumps are working.
Before start, electric pump on. Note fuel pressure reading. Electric pump off.
Start engine on mechanical pump. Note fuel pressure. Should be higher than electric pump pressure.
Taxi out and do run up on mechanical pump. Last action prior to reducing RPM is turning the electric pump on. Should be no change in fuel pressure.

The engine-driven pump may be able to provide enough fuel to start and taxi, but not enough for higher power settings. The electric pump may mask a failing engine-driven pump. The only way you would know if when the electric pump fails and the engine-driven pump can't provide full power fuel flows.

So, I use a system that gives me a chance to catch the problem prior to takeoff.
You learn more about the plane, and develop your own procedures, when you build your own.
But the commercial checklists are the collected wisdom of many centuries of combined aviation experience. So use both. Get a commercial checklist and make your own modifications.

A good checklist follows a logical flow. A logical flow, assuming that the exterior checks are complete, assumes the pilot is seated in the left seat with his right hand on the floor between the seats and is similar to the attached diagram.

Determine the items and sequence you will use during your flow and make the checklist to match.

image.jpg

I have modified the checklists I use with this change: Every Cessna checklist I have ever seen has the item: "Flight controls free and correct" in the before takeoff section. I do it before I start the engines, I mean if there is a problem with that system why bother taxiing out to the runway???? :dunno:

(I also do it at the end of the runway after runup)

When I use a checklist the first couple of times I print it on paper and mark it up. After I'm done editing it I update and laminate it. I say this because I guarantee that my first checklist will be ... Ineffective :)

Mary and I use the same method. We started with the previous owner's checklist, and kept modifying...and modifying...and modifying.

After 2 months, we think we've finally got the final, laminated version in the plane.

Logical and simple. It's a check list, i.e., a list of things to be checked, not a how-to list, i.e., not a list of how to do each thing that needs doing.

OK - a question:

Ron made a comment about the difference between a checklist and a how-to list.

I've usually looked at it as a to-do list. Even that can make a difference in how you look at it, though.

Do you generally use it like this: set things up for each segment of pre-flight/flight from memory and then use the check list as a verification tool, or do you generally treat it as a to-do list and check off each box in sequence? Or a combination?

Edit - on the ground I tend to the use it as a to-do list, and in the air as a verification.

Last edited:
The list can function either way, depending on circumstances. For pilots who fly every day and have their flows and patterns established, memorized and ingrained, the lists normally serve as "done" lists that confirm the flow checks were completed without omission.

For pilots who are new to the plane or those who fly infrequently or those whose memory might not be quite as razor-sharp as in the past (why you lookin' at me, Willis?) the lists will revert to "do" lists and serve a different purpose.

OK - a question:

Ron made a comment about the difference between a checklist and a how-to list.

I've usually looked at it as a to-do list. Even that can make a difference in how you look at it, though.

Do you generally use it like this: set things up for each segment of pre-flight/flight from memory and then use the check list as a verification tool, or do you generally treat it as a to-do list and check off each box in sequence? Or a combination?

Edit - on the ground I tend to the use it as a to-do list, and in the air as a verification.

For those who might be interested in some big picture approaches, including discussion of airline and other checklists patently beyond the scope of the OP, here are some resources:

InFO 10002 Industry Best Practices Reference List
Approved by: AFS-200 OPR: AFS-220
Checklist Design and Use

Advisory Circular 120-64. Operational Use and Modification of Electronic Checklists. Retrieved from http://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli....cfm/go/document.information/documentID/23204

InFO 08041. Checklist Review. Retrieved from http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avia...afety/info/all_infos/media/2008/inFO08041.pdf

InFO 08034. Design and Content of Checklists for In-Flight Smoke, Fire and Fumes (SFF). Retrieved from http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avia...afety/info/all_infos/media/2008/inFO08034.pdf

FAA, Office of Integrated Safety Analysis, Human Factors Analysis Division. (1995). Human Performance Considerations in the Use and Design of Aircraft Checklists. Retrieved from http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...ches/afs210/training_aids/media/checklist.doc

Order 8900.1 CHG 0 Vol. 3, Ch. 32, Sect. 12. Aircraft Checklists for 14 CFR Parts 121/135. Retrieved from http://fsims.faa.gov/PICResults.aspx?mode=EBookContents

Turner, J.W. & Huntley, M.S. (1991). Use and Design of Flight Crew Checklists and Manuals (Report No. FAA-AM-91-07). Retrieved from http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache...s+and+manuals+turner&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

I guess on one hand, it shows what can happen if one searches on "FAA checklist design" but it does show that if we want to look into human factors and other sources that are often more recent than the POH we are starting from, there has been some research in this area.

Back