Wright Flyer replica double fatal :(

That is sad! I wonder if the NTSB is equipped to investigate a crash involving a plane that is very different from what we generally fly in GA today.

That is sad! I wonder if the NTSB is equipped to investigate a crash involving a plane that is very different from what we generally fly in GA today.

I had the chance to talk to a former NTSB chairman recently. Based on that conversation, I would answer with an unequivocal "yes".

Doesn't matter what it is, they can handle it.

They get any airplane that crashes:
http://www.faa.gov/data_research/accident_incident/preliminary_data/media/B_0801_N.txt

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 453WB Make/Model: EXP Description: WRIGHT B FLYER
Date: 07/30/2011 Time: 1345

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Fatal Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Destroyed

City: YELLOW SPRINGS State: OH Country: US

DESCRIPTION
AIRCRAFT CRASHED UNDER UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES, THE 2 PERSONS ON BOARD WERE
FATALLY INJURED, NEAR YELLOW SPRINGS, OH

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 2
# Crew: 2 Fat: 2 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: VFR

OTHER DATA
Activity: Unknown Phase: Unknown Operation: OTHER

FAA FSDO: CINCINNATI, OH (GL05) Entry date: 08/01/2011

Doesn't matter what it is, they can handle it.
Unfortunately, investigating Experimental aircraft accidents is not a priority at the NTSB. Remember, their ultimate goal is to discover problems that might affect other airplanes of the same type. Not applicable here, and of varying applicability to the Experimental fleet in general.

However, my understanding is that this year, the NTSB has been asked to perform full investigations of all Experimental crashes. This is because of the FAA's heightened concern regarding the perceived accident rate and the fatality rate compared to GA in total.

Ron Wanttaja

A real pity. Those things have always been a real handful. Killed most of the pilots who flew them in the day.

Back