Wow.

Perhaps the writer mistook the SODA process (which may involve training and test) for "redoing" his certs?

article said:
As Matt set the Seneca up for a long final to Runway 24 at Flagler County Airport, his check pilot opted to force a single-engine landing by cutting off the fuel supply to the right engine. It was a decision that proved disastrous. Matt didn’t notice the check pilot’s move quickly enough, and powered back both engines to begin his final approach
Bigger question. At what point does the check pilot or CFI fail the student and give up on the emergency they've caused?

Last I heard, that check pilot is flying 767 (might have been 777) somewhere in Asia.
He had about 7000 hrs at the time of the accident, 5000 of which in Senecas

Perhaps the writer mistook the SODA process (which may involve training and test) for "redoing" his certs?
I suspect that is what happened. The article doesn't say he had to 'redo' all of his licenses/ratings. The wording they used was that he had to work with the FAA to get them back, which I take to mean the SODA process.

My hands are shaking as I write this. While I cannot get into any details because of patient confidentiality, I worked this crash. Now that I read the article, I am trying to get in touch with Mr. Cole. If anyone knows him please send me a PM. I already emailed the author of the article.

My hands are shaking as I write this. While I cannot get into any details because of patient confidentiality, I worked this crash. Now that I read the article, I am trying to get in touch with Mr. Cole. If anyone knows him please send me a PM. I already emailed the author of the article.
Thanks for doing what you do. He survived! :)

Neat story. My tailwheel CFI had scars on both arms and elsewhere from 3rd degree burns suffered in a night crash of his Ercoupe in the 70s.

He carried a card in his wallet that was a photo of the aircraft in one piece on one side and a crash scene photo the next day on the other where the little metal bits and pieces are barely recognizable as an aircraft.

He didn't typically get it out but if you asked about the scars he would hand you the laminated card with the airplane side up and see if you turned it over and figured out what it was. He wasn't into scaring anyone with it. Just his reminder to be humble that he always kept with him in his wallet.

The story also includes that Denver had just gotten its first medical helo and he was one of its first few patients. Or he wouldn't be alive today. (Actually I lost touch with him and he must be in his 80s by now. I don't know if he's still flying or alive now.)

He credited his own hubris of believing a night flight at a deserted airport was safe, and a trashed engine with his injuries, and an off-duty Sheriff who responded to the airport after a report of a fire, and a helicopter pilot and EMT with being his saviors.

He marveled that aviation both hurt him and saved him.

I just received an email from the author of the article who put me in touch Mr. Cole. Hopefully I will talk with him tomorrow.

I spoke with Mr Cole today. First conversation I had with him since the crash. It was exhilarating to say the least. Hopefully I will meet him in a couple months. I also spoke with the author of the article and he is doing another story about us getting in contact. It has been a good day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back