Wow was it windy last night!!

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Needed to get my night currency back since it is dark in the evenings and I have am picking up some pax this Friday evening. So I went out last night, the forecast was for gusts up to 20 but from 220. The runway where I fly is a 9/27 so no big deal. But this wind was wicked. It was doing gusts to 20 alright but it felt as though it was starting from zero and instantly going to 20. Really rough ride, I was sweating after doing my three landings.

matt and i were moving a glider trailer yesterday in 20G30 winds. I was walking outside when the cold front moved through and i could FEEL it. temp dropped significantly and wind shifted out of the northwest. i was freeeezing!

tonycondon said:
matt and i were moving a glider trailer yesterday in 20G30 winds. I was walking outside when the cold front moved through and i could FEEL it. temp dropped significantly and wind shifted out of the northwest. i was freeeezing!

Tell me about it. Last night really sucked.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N4296N/history/20061031/0046Z/KOOA/KSPW

I was flying low and they lost me on radar after I passed Ames. I got down to 88 kts over the ground over Fort Dodge. Over two hours to fly 190 miles. :mad:

[FONT=Monospace,Courier]By the time I landed at Spencer,

KSPW 310253Z AUTO 31025G37KT 10SM OVC030 01/M06 A2986 RMK AO2 PK WND 31037/0250 SLP119 T00111056 51051

At least it was right down the runway. Weird feeling coming down final with a 50kt groundspeed.

James Dean
[/FONT]

hehe well i figured it was time for a change.
james you got the toga in for annual now?
glider is out of condition inspection (experimental speak for annual) after today. i think ill go out to the airport, try to seal up the trailer and pack it up for the winter.

Yep, She's gettin checked out.

New vacuum pump, some new hoses, rebuilt mags, new plugs, a new door seal, troubleshoot oil temp gauge, new brakes, fix and repaint air filter cover, rebuild front gear strut, and a few AD's are comming due.

I figure 3 weeks and 5 - 7 AMU's.

James Dean

Aviation Monetary Units, approximately equal to 1000 dollars.

tonycondon said:

I was out spreading fertilizer in a 500 acre field with 1-mile long rows going east-west. The whole time - from 8am-2pm - I was spreading that field, the wind was directly out of the south, which was no big deal. In the time it took me to drive ~10 miles (at 38mph) to my next field, the wind had shifted and was straight out of the west. 50 acres (30 mins) after that, it was strong out of the NNW and the temp dropped about 10 degrees. Almost spooky how it changed so fast! It actually changed so fast that the climate control in the cab of my machine couldn't keep up - I had to crank it up several degrees to compensate for the steep temp change.

Man I miss "winter" in the south.

-Chris

tonycondon said:
Aviation Monetary Units, approximately equal to 1000 dollars.

I've always heard it as the cost of an hour of dual (including airplane, generally a 172 or similar). Makes more sense. :D

Of course, if you're in the nearby SR22, it actually costs about 2.3 AMU's. :eek:

I was up in the north east this weekend. It was really windy up there. I didnt notice any small single engines flying on saturday around the KHVN area. Didnt get a chance to see what the winds were online.

Back