Wow.. This is Bravo airspace to me

Tony R

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Atrosa
Hi PoA members.

Im new to this forum and aviation for that matter. I'm on a few other smaller forums where i am really absorbing as much information as possible. I am in my 40s and have decided to finally get my pilots licence.(light sport)

I'm going to get the wriiten out of thw way first, then start loggin hours. I want to make sure my time in the aircraft is well spent and dedicated to stuff that can only be garnered in the aircraft. Also, I hope i will be a better student as i can communicate with my CFI better if i know all the ground school stuff.

I'm looking forward to any knowledge i can gain here.

-Tony

Sometimes things on the written are better understood when you've actually been in the plane. I actually suggest doing them concurrently.

Agree! A lot of students think the way you (the OP) do about the written/Ground study, but I think you'll find that most people, who have been thru it, will agree with the above...

Like Ed, I also suggest doing much of the ground work concurrently with the flight training.

Yes, you can read all the book pages and watch all the videos. But some of the concepts aren't going to sink in completely until you experience them.

And if you do it as Ed and I suggest, you're likely to be that better student that you desire. And score well on the written exam.

By the way, WELCOME TO POA!!! Let us know where you reside so we an include in any IRL events that happen.

Hi PoA members.

Im new to this forum and aviation for that matter. I'm on a few other smaller forums where i am really absorbing as much information as possible. I am in my 40s and have decided to finally get my pilots licence.(light sport)

I'm going to get the wriiten out of thw way first, then start loggin hours. I want to make sure my time in the aircraft is well spent and dedicated to stuff that can only be garnered in the aircraft. Also, I hope i will be a better student as i can communicate with my CFI better if i know all the ground school stuff.

I'm looking forward to any knowledge i can gain here.

-Tony
Welcome to POA!!! Good luck with your training.

I’ll second that (or third it?)

I would suggest taking a few lessons before taking the written, otherwise a lot of the things will be like Greek to you.

Start here: Stick and Rudder Book by Wolfgang Langewiesche

This is an old book, but piston airplane flight has not changed much. There are periodic threads here recommending various books; you might want to search for and read those too.

I consumed as much as I could on Youtube and online...not as learning tools how to do it cuz there is a lot of bad info and techniques out there, but rather just to get familiarized with terms and concepts which helped a lot as I experienced things for the first time.

...kinda like that time at band...aaaah...nevermind.

+1 to jumping in, and doing the written and flight training in parallel. For all the reasons others have mentioned. Hours in your logbook never expire, so there's no rush to do all the flying all at once once you start. Take a "discovery flight" if you haven't already!

You don't mention whether you've already identified a school/instructor yet. If you're going for Light Sport, this may require some research and asking questions, since not all aircraft are Light Sport Aircraft. And yes, it's perfectly OK to take introductory lessons with more than one instructor (or plane), to "shop around". You'll likely learn a bunch, just from that process.

Good luck!!

Oh, and before you start spending money...make sure you qualify for a third class medical (and get one)

Awesome responses and advice. Im looking at ksnc. The CFI at kmmk wasn't into sport pilot traning and thought that a BRS was a gimmick and said good pilots fly it to the ground.

We talked for about 20 minutes on the phone and i just think it would have not been good for either of us.

I'm not looking to be a commercial pilot or atp i just want to poke around flying from my home in CT to my vacation property in NH.

KSNC has a kappa kp5 LSA. Im sort of right between ksnc and kmmk.

I work 5 minutes from simsbury airport so when the suckers are stuck on 91 north i will just buzz overhead in my LSA enjoying my 20 minute flight.

Welcome Tony!

I’m a Sport Pilot as well. I did the ground training first and on my own. If I had to do it again, I would suggest as the others have... do it in parallel with flight training as some of the material will make a lot more sense after seeing it in person and/or talking to your CFI.

The CFI at kmmk wasn't into sport pilot traning and thought that a BRS was a gimmick and said good pilots fly it to the ground.

BRS is a good tool to have as a last resort. But my CFI drilled into me that I am to fly that plane down to the ground. A LSA has a really slow stall speed and really short landing distance, so barring any unforgiving terrain or in-flight break-up, the ability to fly that aircraft down to the ground and land is pretty darned good.

I work 5 minutes from simsbury airport so when the suckers are stuck on 91 north i will just buzz overhead in my LSA enjoying my 20 minute flight.

Don’t forget to take into account the pre-flight time, the warm-up, then run-up time, and then sequencing for departure (if at a busy airport). And if it’s an especially gusty day (where you really don’t want to be flying an LSA), you may be looking down at those cars actually going faster than you! :p;)

Yeah i have been in traffic for 90 minutes. And most days it is an hour. The places i plan on flying are non towered.

As for planes im looking at... They are zippy LSA.. Slowed to not bust 120 knots. I will post another thread on that once i get 10-15 hours under my belt. I have money earmarked for this new hobbie but it is not burning a hole in my pocket.

I have a ton more learning to do before i experience my 2nd happiest day.

As for LSA limits. My personal limits will be way lower. I realize they are light and susceptible to cross winds. I look at METARS and TAFs every day and make practice go n9 go decisions.

Thank you for all the guidance.

Tony

Back