Wow, the feds updated something.

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
The coordinates are finally correct, so if you have an updated database, the field is where it is supposed to be now. Not like you couldn't find it anyway. They still have the runway length wrong though.

What's the actual runway length, Ed? I'm too lazy to look up what it says in the A/FD, but Airnav says 2000 feet. :yikes:

What's the actual runway length, Ed? I'm too lazy to look up what it says in the A/FD, but Airnav says 2000 feet. :yikes:

Airnav pulls straight from the A/FD, so that says 2000 as well. It's actually 2600, and this weekend, even landing with a tailwind (sun in my eyes the other way) and no braking, I only used 1/2 the runway. Ryan came in with his Cardinal, and used less runway than I did - also a downwind landing. (5kts or so in each case)

Airnav pulls straight from the A/FD, so that says 2000 as well. It's actually 2600, and this weekend, even landing with a tailwind (sun in my eyes the other way) and no braking, I only used 1/2 the runway. Ryan came in with his Cardinal, and used less runway than I did - also a downwind landing. (5kts or so in each case)

Geesh 5kt tailwind landing, flying single engine over water, flying at night around mountains, you are a daredevil.

Geesh 5kt tailwind landing, flying single engine over water, flying at night around mountains, you are a daredevil.

Wait till ya see the pictures from this weekend. Let's just say they won't be made public. :D

Okay, I can do 2600 feet pretty easily in the 177RG if the runway is firm, and the only obstacles are normal sized trees. But I wouldn't want to try it if it's soft. Taking off from 3DA, I'm ~100 feet short of the opposite direction runway's displaced threshold (just under 800 feet) when my wheels leave the ground. That's a paved surface, 2500 feet. So 2000 feet would be a definite no-go (even paved).

I wonder how many other runway lengths the FAA has wrong? Especially, how many where the actual length is shorter than what it says in the A/FD?

Okay, I can do 2600 feet pretty easily in the 177RG if the runway is firm, and the only obstacles are normal sized trees. But I wouldn't want to try it if it's soft. Taking off from 3DA, I'm ~100 feet short of the opposite direction runway's displaced threshold (just under 800 feet) when my wheels leave the ground. That's a paved surface, 2500 feet. So 2000 feet would be a definite no-go (even paved).

I wonder how many other runway lengths the FAA has wrong? Especially, how many where the actual length is shorter than what it says in the A/FD?

I (along with a few others from here) took off out of there when it was 1800'. The runway there is pretty much never soft. Excellent drainage (mostly sandy soil.)

I (along with a few others from here) took off out of there when it was 1800'. The runway there is pretty much never soft. Excellent drainage (mostly sandy soil.)
Sounds a little like the grass runways at SJX. I was talking with the Fresh Aire attendant yesterday about it, she said they're in great shape but practically no one ever lands on them. I walked 14/32 and agree, it's a little bumpy but not bad at all. The soil is very firm with a thin layer of sand on top, very little gravel too which is a big plus. If I go back there I may try it just for fun.

Great news, Ed! Just got the latest (10154) A/FD, and it lists Sidnaw as 2600'!:yesnod:

So when will we get the GPS approach, and lights???? Lights are important to some of us :D

Just use the braille 26 approach. Worked for you last year. ;)

So when will we get the GPS approach, and lights???? Lights are important to some of us :D

Approach? WTF are you going to hit?
Lights? Aim for the light gray area.

Back