Wow - I like (unless something is wrong)

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
I don't know the final price of this plane, but if its less than $50,000, and its not in crappy condition, I could be very happy soon.

From my research, it looks like it cruises at 120 knots or so, and with a 59 fuel cap, at 10gph, that looks like 5.9 hours (if that alcohol is not blurring my mathing abilities). That's way longer than my bladder can hold!

Plus - its kinda like the Beech Sierra, which is what I wanted. Except its not retract, which will help with insurance.

Problem being what this person means by "crack in the tail cone."

Opinions?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Beec...563223070QQcategoryZ63677QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The stack leaves a little to be desired. Cruise may be 120mph+ rather than 120knots.

OTOH, the tail cone is about $300 from Globe and a 1 hour job to install after painting.

If the bid stays that low, go for it! Plane (as described) should go in the low-mid 30s.

If you do get it, you won't regret it (assuming there is no hidden gotcha). They are stable, roomy, comfortable birds. Hard to make good landings at first, but very easy after you learn how to hold your mouth. 8^)

It may sound strange if you have kept up with my journal, but they are very reliable. Some Beech specific parts are hard to come by, but I have never had problems finding what I need (There is a very active type club).

NickDBrennan said:
Problem being what this person means by "crack in the tail cone."

Opinions?

Get someone intimately familiar with the type to check the wing spars. Ask Eamon about Mouse wing spar corrosion. IIRC, Eamon's Mouse had wing spar corrosion. Eamon purchased two salvage wings, both of which also had corrosion as bad or worse than the original. IIRC, Eamon opted to rebuild the wing.

Ed Guthrie said:
Get someone intimately familiar with the type to check the wing spars. Ask Eamon about Mouse wing spar corrosion. IIRC, Eamon's Mouse had wing spar corrosion. Eamon purchased two salvage wings, both of which also had corrosion as bad or worse than the original. IIRC, Eamon opted to rebuild the wing.

I thought Eamon had spar exfoliation caused by improper maintenance and missed by improper annuals?

Cheers,

-Andrew

Nick,

I saw this plane on ebay last week and it had an opening bid of $33K with no takers. I emailed them twice with ? and got no reply. Blue book on this plane is $28.5K. If you have 44K to spend, there is a nice Sundowner at VIH for sale. You buy it and I'll fly it out to you.:D

Nick

Word of caution!

My first aircraft purchase was a 172 a Cheap Great buy. I got an annual at purchase and flew it home.

Then I took it in for some radio upgrades at a very well known shop had them take a look after the radio work. Then spent a year rebuilding It, LOTS OF MONEY. A beautiful aircraft now but Was far from a good deal. I have decided there are NO steals. Find a great mechanic hire him to travel and let him decide what is a good deal. I sent my GOOD mech. on a few trips before buying again.

There is no worse feeling for me than not knowing everything about the machine that surrounds me during climb out at 500ft.

Tail cone is plastic, easy fix by yourself.

Have the plane checked for corrosion. The outer spar is riveted & glued... I think the glue holds water and speed up corrosion. It is easy to see as long as you remove the wing tips.

Not too many AD's on this airframe.

Rock solid handling.

Roomy

The 180 is a great motor, I have the 165hp & I see 115kts at 9.5 gph

Figure out what you want as far as a panel & remember that avionics installation is the worst.

You can get a KNS 80 Rnav with GS & a KI209 head for $1600
A PS6000 intercom/Audio panel for $900 & then $1500-2K labor & you are all set.

If it has GS already... I would do a Garmin 300 IFR GPS ($2500) and the ps6000 ($900) $2k-2.5K labor & then you have a really nice bird.

If you are used to a 172, the Beech seems Nose heavy. Carry a case of oil in the back & you will be fine. It likes to stay within 10 kts on landings... If you cannot do that, Stick with a Cessna.

Back