Wow! Have to be careful with medications

Bob Roberts

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Roberts
Got into limbo with the FAA. Had a doctor prescribe a medication for just a little nerve tingling from exercise. Turns out the medication is also geared toward people that have seizures. So the medication was on the - no way hosa can you be on it and fly list. So hope everyone is more careful than I was when doctor prescribes a medication you think is no biggie!

Tegretol. Get a note from the doc that the condition has resolved, is no longer needed that you have no psychiatry nor neurology diagnosis and fax it in to 405-639-4300 with your name DOB and PI # on it.

Tegretol. Get a note from the doc that the condition has resolved, is no longer needed that you have no psychiatry nor neurology diagnosis and fax it in to 405-639-4300 with your name DOB and PI # on it.
Yep, It was actually gabapentin (sp?) Doctor wrote them a note. They are just so backed up right now. Been 3 months :(

I always Google "FAA [medication name]" before taking anything new. I can usually find something that makes it clear whether or not it is allowed.

Have to be cautious these days. In 2020 doctors are prescribing epic amounts of Damitol, which can help with covid/political/faa anxiety. The FAA position on this medication is not clear, but they expect to have fewer issues with it in 2021. Personally, I think they're dreaming.

Tim

I stop the doc as soon as he suggests a new drug and before he can even write it in the record. You don't want "Rx'd <mind altering drug>" in your record.

Once I had a doc write me a letter saying he "discussed it, but did not ever Rx it"; he had no problem with that.

So many drugs out there react in different people in different ways. Then there is this BIG one. How does it react under low partial pressure, as in high altitude. No one seems to ask that one. But what happens at FL410 and you have a decompression. How does that drug react in your system? Or how about 4 hrs @ 10,00 ft when you are accustomed to sea level. Make sure when prescribed ANY and ALL meds that you check with your AME at a minimum.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back