Would you use an audiobook?

If an audiobook was available I...

• Would be interested only if it were free

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Would be interested and willing to pay a small amount for it (<$5)

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Would not be interested

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters

ZeroPapaGolf

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
ZeroPapaGolf
For those of you currently in training, I'm curious if any would be interested in an audiobook version of the various government publications (such as the Airplane Flying Handbook). I drive a lot and enjoy being able to listen to books along the way. Due to the lack of copyright on government publications, this project would be possible. Please respond to the poll with what you think.

Nah most of the material is too dense and doesn't flow very well as read, I think I'd tune out. I tend to listen to aviation and other podcasts in the plane and car and there is a ton of content available...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So many aviation instructional books rely heavily on illustrations to get the point across. An audio book would not work for those.

Now, it would work for the FARs. I guess you could always lull yourself to sleep listening to them while driving.

I recorded several classroom lessons when I was doing my PPL. I played them in my truck when I drove. It helped me.

That being said, I visualized what was being put on the white board when I was listening to the audio.

My 2 cents.

I need crayons... audio just doesn't cut it for me unless it's classic CC&W or RocknRoll. :rockon:

I don't think reference books make good audiobooks since you don't normally read them starting at page one, in order, all the way through. Looking up a specific subject would be harder. Someone else mentioned illustrations, which wouldn't work with and audiobook.

I don't think reference books make good audiobooks since you don't normally read them starting at page one, in order, all the way through. Looking up a specific subject would be harder. Someone else mentioned illustrations, which wouldn't work with and audiobook.

:( I read the AFH starting page one, in order, all the way through. But I will say, it would be hard to listen to it. However, the sections are broken up nicely, so quick audio blurbs on things like crosswind approaches and whatnot from the books could be helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may be just dense or spacey but I can't stay tuned into audio. Tried repeatedly to learn things by audio and constantly have to rewind after floating off somewhere. Aced civil engineering so not stupid but can't use that system. Much more visual. Don't tell me gross jokes.....!

Unless you could get Morgan Freeman or Patrick Stewart to read it, nope.

I may be just dense or spacey but I can't stay tuned into audio. Tried repeatedly to learn things by audio and constantly have to rewind after floating off somewhere.

I do the same thing, depending on the situation...
sometimes I have several things going on and my mind is all over the place.
When walking, driving, or waiting in places like airports, Dr. office, etc., I love having audio learning tools.
When working, running, biking, or anything else active, it's a joke, most of the time.... but being a PPL student at this point, LiveATC was suggested by many, and it is something I will listen to even when being active, as I want the distraction to be a part of the learning process.
I miss a lot (usually because it's static-y, and some just seem to mumble at over 100mph. But I'm getting better as I go. Which I believe is a testament to the audio learning that we are discussing.

Another audio training that helped recently was a morse code app on my phone. It beeps out random letters and then reads them back. I learned morse code in about 2 days. I thought it would take me weeks! (I use Bluetooth earbuds...most older folks in the Dr. office are distracted by beeps that sound like irregular heart rate)

I'm a fan of having audio as a supplement to other forms of learning.
Of course it's limited in regards to things that need imagery, but being asked test questions would be great for me. My CFI does it on occasion, but I'd like it at my disposal while driving, riding, waiting, etc.

As corny as it sounds, with the Bluetooth headphones nowadays, even in the cockpit there might be some ideas for audio reinforcement via phone/tablet apps. Not saying depend on it, just have it as a supplement. I mean, it's pretty nice to flip a switch and listen to ATIS instead of having to read it, right, so why not other stuff?
Maybe audio checklist ?... listen to engine failure on takeoff procedures while on taxi? probably lot's of possibilities...and may be something I see as silly as I get more experienced, but being a new student I'd probably use some tools if available.

Back