Would you rather learn to fly a real GA airplane or a extremely realistic flight sim?

Learn to fly a GA airplane or build and fly your very own flight simulator?

• Learn to Fly a GA Airplane

Votes: 73 100.0%
  • Build and Fly your very own Realistic Flight Simulator

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Would you rather learn to fly a real GA airplane or a extremely realistic flight

No joke when I say this...We had a student call us down in the sim. He was wanting to know why the gps on his phone was no corresponding to the gps in the sim:mad2:!! Seriously that happened!

the technology does exist. Cygnus is what its called

Re: Would you rather learn to fly a real GA airplane or a extremely realistic flight

No joke when I say this...We had a student call us down in the sim. He was wanting to know why the gps on his phone was no corresponding to the gps in the sim:mad2:!! Seriously that happened!

:rofl:

Like anything else they are what you make of them.

I find flight simulators boring, But I do use them. A good simulator will help you with an unfamiliar airport and other such things.

The biggest thing I like about them, I can fly things I will never in my life be able to fly.

Tony

Is that the thing you can hook to your iPad and ForeFlight will follow you along on X-Plane?

That was 5 years ago when this happened. I remember telling him it's because the phone did not have a clear view of the sky and he had a look of duh on him.

Two of us went down to answer the call. Let's just say we had some great conversation on the way back to the shop. To this day we talk about that student. I've heard some funny things about the sim but that has so far topped it and no other has come close.

Is that the thing you can hook to your iPad and ForeFlight will follow you along on X-Plane?

Perhaps. I've only seen it used with a redbird simulator. It's pretty neat.

I just looked it up and it appears you hook it to the CPU and yeah they say it works with x plane. Yeah that would never happen in our sims, 1 no place to hook it up( we have 8 CPUs running a sim) and 2 I don't see the gov allowing that, as a tech I wouldn't allow it either. Cool technology though from the looks of it.

I've said before that I don't really much care for the sims to teach VFR stuff, but for IFR they are an amazing tool.

The view is a lot better in a real airplane. I can look down and see rivers, lakes, farms, and cities.

Sim pilots can look down and see shag carpeting and Starburst wrappers.

:rofl:I just LOL'd myself!

I've said before that I don't really much care for the sims to teach VFR stuff, but for IFR they are an amazing tool.

They are marginally useful for other things, for instance explaining the operation of that blue knob in various phases of flight. Of course, I probably wouldn't want to have to pay just to demonstrate that, but it can be useful to show the correlation between MP and RPM... MS Flight Simulator works fine for that, you don't need a PCATD or redbird, it isn't logable anyway.

Never heard of Cygnus til now but why would you need it when WingX Pro7 connects to X-plane 10 via wifi?

Now I just need a motion platform, some shag carpet and a pack of Starburst :rofl:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    692.3 KB · Views: 7

I just get in an old link trainer and make engine noises .

Back